Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Music and Writing

What kind of music do you like?

Thanks to Stephenie Meyer, I’m a huge fan of Muse. But finding them on the radio around here was impossible (at least it was last year). On one bored day at work (at my old job), I hunted around and found a radio station on line, out of Los Angeles, that played Muse. I was hooked. I also discovered Evanescence, The Killers, Coldplay, and Weezer.

This from a person who grew up loving Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond.

When I was 18 (and in the Army), I loved “Gonna Fly Now” from the movie “Rocky”. I mentioned the song to a co-worker, who was all of 27. She said she’d never heard it (I was shocked!) and went on to tell me that she used to love music, but as she got older, she didn’t have time for it. What? No time for music? If that was the case, I didn’t want to get older.

But as it turned out, I always had time for it. I may not know what group or song I’m listening to, but I know what I like. And I like the way music inspires my writing. It can certainly get me through a difficult scene. I thought it might be distracting, but put the right mood of music on, it’s anything but.

Music and writing. It’s nice to know two things I love go together so well.

No comments: