Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Is Looker-Outer a Word?

The other night my husband and I had dinner at Gold Star Chili. It’s a small restaurant and not very busy, so you can hear just about anyone’s conversation. Some Metro cops (actually Park Rangers – but it’s their new title) were at the register to pay their bill and talked with the girls that worked there (and none of the girls there had a quiet voice). The subject of speeding came up.

One girl wanted to know if the EMS or Fireman could pull her over for speeding. No, but they could radio in the speeder to the proper authorities. She didn’t think that was fair. Of course, she also didn’t think you could get a ticket if you had out of state plates (go figure!).

One girl bragged about how she speeds all the time and will “never” get a ticket. The Metro cop told her not to ever say “never”. She said the reason she would never get a ticket was because she was the “looker-outer” when her brother drove.

Looker-outer? I almost spit out my dinner! Is that a real word? Isn’t that usually the job of the passenger (at least in my family)? The cops had a good laugh. I told my husband I had to remember to use that word in my next book. I just have to figure out how to get it in there. Of course, the only way I’ll remember to use it, is to blog about it. So that’s what I’m doing!

No comments: