Thursday, July 8, 2010

Waiting

I’m thinking about my first book too much again. The form rejections I received from the few agents I’ve queried haven’t helped any, either.

Should I change the beginning? Should I change the end? Should I change this scene or that? The questions never stop.

I keep telling myself to WAIT. Wait until I hear back from the last contest I entered. Wait until I have a chance to talk to my beta reader. Waiting is hard, though. I won’t get the results from the contest until October. Dang – can I really wait THAT long? At least I’m talking to my beta reader on Saturday (I hope, anyway!).

I’m afraid to send out more queries. If my book isn’t ready as it is, I don’t want to blow anymore chances. I want a good agent.

I’m hoping it’s all in my head, that I’m over-analyzing the whole thing. It’s what I do (and I’ve gotten very good at it).

So I will wait until I hear back from the contest. I owe my book that much. If I don’t final (and that is what my goal is, although winning would be SWEET), then it’s back to the drawing board (or the critique group). Because I will NOT give up on my book. It deserves its chance to be read.

3 comments:

Linda Leszczuk said...

Don't do it, Stacy. Work on something else for a while. Let enough time go by so you can re-read your book with fresh eyes and then decide what you want to change.

Anne Gallagher said...

Linda's right. Work on something new. Wait but work. You can't change things right yet, you're still too close. Give it until October, at least. And besides, if you start a new book, you'll have something else to pitch to the agent when you return to querying and maybe get a 2 book deal.

Stacy McKitrick said...

I talked to my beta reader today and while we both agreed I might be better at starting the book a little further in, I will still wait until I hear back from the contest I entered.

I'm also stopping my submitting process until then, too. I don't want to burn any more bridges.

Yes, I am writing the sequel, and the change I will make won't impact that, so I'll keep writing it. But it sure was nice talking to someone about my book who didn't mind talking about it. I feel so much better now!