Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Writing

I'm so afraid to get back into my current WIP, GHOSTLY LIAISON.

It could be because I'm having problems figuring out a story, but that's never stopped me from writing before. I just write and let the characters take me wherever. Writing helps me get to know the characters better. That's what revising and editing is all about anyway, right?

It could be because I want to wait until after I've sent out MY SUNNY VAMPIRE to the editor and agent who requested it. I want that book to be at the best I can make it before submitting it. Can I do that AND write a new one at the same time? I don't think I want to try.

But I want to write. I want to write something new.

Yes, I would prefer to write another vampire story. I love my vampires. But what if MY SUNNY VAMPIRE doesn't sell? I can't continue to write a series that is dead, no matter how badly I want to. It isn't logical, or feasible. Not unless I don't plan on ever selling. Or I plan on self-publishing.

Thing is, I want to sell. And I've become greedy. I want an agent. I want to be published traditionally. I'm too lazy to go the self-publishing route. I love to write – not promote. Yes, I know I'll be expected to promote the traditional way, too, but not to the extent if I self-publish. I just don't have that kind of time, not working a full-time job, too.

So I'm stuck right now. Between polishing MY SUNNY VAMPIRE and writing GHOSTLY LIAISON. There's no way I want to rush submitting. My vampire book is too important. I started a short story, and maybe that's what I should concentrate on while I wait on feedback for my vampire book. Plus, I have this blog to write. It could stand to have more activity!

For you writers out there, what do you do when you're stuck between projects? Can you put all your creativity into a new one while polishing up the old? Or is that something that comes with practice? Maybe if I had twenty books under my belt it would be different. I'm on my fourth and still feel like a newbie.

No comments: