Thursday, March 8, 2012

Another Series Ends and New Orleans Food

Last night, my daughter, husband, and I watched the final three episodes of Angel. I enjoyed this series and I even cried a little at the end.

Then my daughter had to tell us how the story lived on in graphic novels and what has happened since the TV series ended. Kind of spoiled my image of Wesley and Fred being together again, so I'll try and forget about what she said!

Next week we begin Firefly. I'm looking forward to that.

Now, another story of our trip to New Orleans (because I can only remember them in bits and pieces and I don't wish to over-bore you!)

On our first night there, we wanted to go to a good restaurant that we wouldn't necessarily find on our own. So my husband asked the security guard at the hotel to recommend a good place (because the locals always know where the best places are). He pointed us toward Mother's.

We walked the few blocks (weather was soooo warm and luscious I could have walked farther and wouldn't have cared) and arrived at this small place where you go up to the counter and place your order, then they deliver it to your table in paper trays. Nothing elaborate, that's for sure. I almost wondered if we were steered wrong. The place was practically empty and we were second in line.

By the time we received our meal (which was excellent, by the way), the line was out the door and down the sidewalk. The place was PACKED. Talk about timing. Apparently, it's that way every night (we were there on a Thursday).

Mother's is a place I would definitely return to (they are famous for their ham, but we didn't get that – I mean, we can get ham at home!).

On Friday night we decided to eat on Bourbon Street (where all the crazies are, I swear). I decided to be adventurous and sampled some Cajun-seasoned food (Cajun shrimp Alfredo). I usually stay away from hot and spicy, but the waiter assured me it wasn't that hot. One bite and I smiled. Yum, yum, yum.

And on our last night there (Saturday), we returned to Bourbon Street for dessert. Yeah, the conference had a dinner, yeah it had dessert, yeah we ate it, but I had to have a beignet and we were leaving early Sunday. If I had known what a beignet was when we went out for breakfast on Friday, I would have gotten it then. More yums (and a very full stomach). The things are covered in powered sugar and if you're wearing dark colors (I was), be prepared to have them sprinkled white! Great pastries. Their taste & texture are very similar to funnel cakes – if you know what those are – but in a square puff.

While I did get my magnets at Hard Rock and Bubba Gump (they were across the street from one another), we didn't eat at either place (for a change). Well, I didn't eat at either. Apparently my husband did eat at Bubba Gump, but then he was on his own a lot, and he just wanted a place to eat and read.

Hope I haven't made you hungry now. Happy Thursday!

5 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

I am actually hungry. I long for a beignet.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Anne - Yep. A beignet sounds good right about now! Have a good day!!

The Happy Whisk said...

Love trying new foods. Go you for the fun adventure. Woohoo.

And Firefly, we love it. Sad that it was canceled too soon, but again, I think they really blew it with the name.

Had they done better with that, I think anyway, more would haven watched it when it aired and probably liked it.

Maybe not. But anyway, enjoy and have a groovy week.

Boogie, boogie.

Maria Zannini said...

I'm glad you hit so many good places to eat. It always makes the trip more memorable.

And lucky you to hit Mother's before it got packed. You couldn't have timed it any better.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Whisk - If you knew how hard it is for me to try new foods (I am so picky), you'd really be proud!

Maria - Why do you suppose it's the restaurants that make the trip more memorable? I guess we're all obsessed with food! I know I am.