Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Favorite Authors

Happy Wednesday and another Favorites blog. What writer doesn't have favorite authors? Well, here's my list (again, as with all my favorites, these are in alphabetical order).

Meg Gardiner – I read China Lake for two reasons: 1) Stephen King recommended it (and her), and 2) I went to high school with her. That first book hooked me and I've been a fan ever since.

Tess Gerritsen – I had just finished reading all of Meg Gardiner's books and was looking for another author to try out. That's when I noticed Tess had a blurb on Meg's books. Well, I thought, if Tess likes Meg's books, I should like Tess's books. And you know what? I do! My husband is even hooked on the Rizzoli & Isles series.

Laurell K. Hamilton – My daughter introduced me to the Anita Blake Series. By this time I was loving anything with vampires. But I do love Anita, and Jean Claude, and Edward, and Richard, and Micah, and, etc. Yeah, she has a LOT of love interests. It's gotten a little bizarre, but now I kind of expect that.

Charlaine Harris – This new television series was starting on HBO and it caught my attention. A series about vampires? Really? Well, I watched the first episode of True Blood and was hooked. The second episode, I realized it was based on books! I asked my daughter (because she knows almost everything regarding paranormal). She had the first book, but hated it. I read it, and LOVED it. See… we don't always have the same tastes! Although, she loves the series. Go figure!

Stephen King – I was in Safeway, back in 1976 (I think), looking for a book. This paperback caught my attention because it was "Soon to be a Motion Picture" (or some such thing), so I picked up the copy of The Stand. It was several years before it was made into a television series, but that book hooked me and I've been reading his stuff ever since.

Dean Koontz – Already a fan of Stephen King's, I experimented with other horror authors. I read The Vision and fell in love. But my favorite is Lightning (gotta love that time travel).

Stephenie Meyer – I'm sad there hasn't been any new books since The Host. She's what got me started writing. I loved he Twilight books so much (more like obsessed), but wished they were in third person. I wanted to know what Edward thought and felt!

Lynsay Sands – I discovered her books on a search through Barnes and Noble, looking for paranormal romance, but only got the first one – I had to be sure. Well, she hooked me. I loved her writing (and humor) so much, I even started reading her historical romances.

Kerrelyn Sparks – I went to RT in 2010 and had no idea who she was. I asked my daughter and found out she had all her books. I've now read all her books. I love her humor. Her vampires are hot, too!

J R Ward – Again, back at RT in 2010, there was this long line for some author named J.R. Ward. I asked my daughter if she knew who she was. She about fainted and told me I needed to read her books. But I didn't have time – and I had lots of other books to read (I was in the middle of two series). Well, eventually I read the first one and then the next, and then the next. I couldn't put them down. I thank my daughter for telling me to read these books! This is by far my most favorite series.

So, did I hit any of your favorites? I probably could have gone on and on, but I try not to make my blogs too lengthy. I want you to come back!

7 comments:

LD Masterson said...

I'm with you on Ress Garritsen, don't think I've read the others. I'm totally hooked on JD Robb's In Death series - read them all. Which is funny because I don't read Nora Roberts. (JD is Nora.)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - I've read a few of Nora's books and while I enjoyed them, she didn't hook me (she head hops too much for my pleasure). Never got on the JD Robb train, either (although my mother loves her).

Maria Zannini said...

I'm not a mystery reader, but I have read one of Linsay Sands' historical novels--offhand I can't remember which one.

King and Hamilton are just too verbose for my comfort. And Hamilton did get a little too weird with her series.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I'm not much into mystery, either (although I do enjoy the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich). I love thrillers and romance (comedy, too) - put them together and I'm sold.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I love King and Koontz! Lightning is one of my favorite books ever!!! Hopefully, you saw just a tiny bit of it in my book. :) I read JR Ward's first BDB and liked it, someday may get around to reading more of them.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I look forward to reading the sequel. That's as soon as you bring one to the meeting so I can buy it!

DL Hammons said...

Both King and Koontz have been hit or miss lately! Not really familiar with the rest, but I'm sure my wife is. :)