Friday, June 8, 2012

Beards - Ugh!

What makes a man decide to grow a beard? My husband has grown one and I hate it. I mean really, really, hate it. He looks older and makes me feel older in the process. I hate anything that makes me feel older!

He won't shave the stupid thing. I don't know if he's just being stubborn now or what. But don't you think he should shave it if I hate it so much? I'm the one who has to look at it, not him.

I've been calling him Scruffy, but that doesn't seem to upset him. Maybe if I started calling him Santa, it would. Got any suggestions of what I can do? Have you been in the same boat? I need help!!!

In other news...Yesterday was a GREAT writing day. And here I thought I wouldn't get any writing done at all (I had a writer's group meeting and writing is scarce on those nights), but work really slowed down and I became inspired (finally). 847 words were added to Alien Desires. That's a record for this book so far (which I hope to obliterate once I finish editing and am only working on the one novel). I'm close to hitting that 10,000 word marker. That's pretty awesome, even if I do say so myself!


12 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I don't have any beard advice. Sorry. Mine had to shave his off when company policy (he works at a chemical plant) forbade beards for safety reasons. (Beards impede a secure seal if personnel ever have to put on an air mask.)

Congrats on the word count!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

WMD works

Otherwise known as denial of sex.

I know that would work with me

RMW

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I wish my husband had a job like that. He used to. When he was in the Army!

Mac - I'm glad you explained what WMD is, because I still can't figure out what those initials stand for. Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind, though!

LD Masterson said...

Ha! So we both went with our parking lot conversation ideas.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - Of course! Good seeing you again (and actually getting to talk for a change!).

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Beards: been there. Hated it the first couple times. It was scraggly and uneven and looked awful. But my opinion did not matter. All you can do is wait it out - it'll eventually get itchy and annoying, and he'll shave it off. Funny thing is, mine has a beard again (goatee actually) and it's much better this time- more even and actually looks decent. Maybe yours will grow on you too.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - He's had this thing for a month now. It ain't happened yet.

Erin Kane Spock said...

My husband has a mustache and goatee, has since we started dating. There was a brief time where he had it shaved for a job. I came home that day and there was a stranger in my living room. I have to say kissing a clean shaving man is a little nicer. No prickly hairs going up your nose.
As for the goatee now, I think I'm going to encourage him to shave it in Iron Man style. If he has to have it, may as well go all the way. Next comes the abs....

James Garcia Jr said...

Good luck convincing him, Stacy. As my hair continues its march the other direction, growing facial hair is about all that I can do to change my boring appearance. I usually grow the beard during the holidays, but keep it neatly trimmed. My wife won't allow me to shave my mustache for the opposite reasons that you brought up. She's older than me, so shaving makes me look far too young for her. I usually sport the goatee year round.

-Jimmy

Stacy McKitrick said...

Erin - My husband has had a mustache since we met. He shaved it once and I didn't recognize him! Told him never to do that again.

Jimmy - Yeah, I don't want my husband to get rid of his mustache. I like that. But he's not having a hair loss problem, in fact he's been letting it grow longer. I think he wants to be a hippie!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'm not a fan of beards either--or any facial hair on a guy. My neighbor has a beard and sometimes when he kisses me hello on the cheek, I want to say, "Ow!" It's rough. LOL

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennifer - Thanks for following. I love new followers!!

You know, I don't think I've ever had a neighbor kiss me before. At least my husband's beard isn't rough. It just tickles. Hey - maybe I should laugh everytime he kisses me! Something to think about.