Friday, August 10, 2012

Hooked - Again

Sometimes I could just shoot strangle hit my daughter. It was bad enough she introduced me to J.R. Ward's work during the writing of my first draft of Book #4. Because of that, I wanted to read more than write. Now I'm writing the first draft of Book #5 and she went and introduced me to The Vampire Academy books (by Richelle Mead). Guess what I want to do?

My daughter SAID she only wanted me to read the first one, because a movie was in the works and she wanted to see it with me (yeah, she knows how to butter up her mother!). Of course, that movie is way, way far into the future (nothing significant is listed on IMDB). Still, she hasn't been wrong (too often) in what books are good to read, so I read the first one.

I liked it and (stupid me) went and asked for the second. She brought the whole series over (hmm… think she knows me well?). After reading the second, I didn't necessarily rush to read the third, but didn't wait too long, either. Ah, but after the third…well, I'll just say I'm not reading anything else until I finish this series. Thank goodness there are only six books. And the series ENDS (or so my daughter says – should I believe her?).

How the heck do I get so wrapped up in these books? I'd probably get so much more written if I wasn't obsessing (or reading). I only hope some day I have the same affect on my readers. Wouldn't that be something?

I must stop reading my daughter's books, though. I have so many of my own piled in the family room, waiting for me to read. I really need to hit those!

But even with all my reading, I am getting a considerable amount written. I finally wrote over 2000 words on Tuesday (haven't done that in ages). What's slowing me down is figuring out the next scenes and where I want the story to go. I'm sure if I outlined, it wouldn't be a problem, but I can't do that. I can only work on one scene at a time. I am having fun with Book #5, though. I just hope it all turns out okay. I always have my doubts when it comes to writing that first draft. I was sure Book #4 was horrible, because of all my distractions (see J.R. Ward, above) while writing it. So far ONE person likes it – I'm still waiting on my second critique partner to reply.

And Book #3 is almost ready to send out to the publisher who requested it (my daughter promises I should get it back this weekend). Once it's out the "door", I can then obsess over my e-mail (yeah, that's always fun, isn't it?).

I have made a decision regarding my vampire series (Books 1, 2, & 3). My unemployment runs out in December and if I don't have a job by then and I strike out with the small press publishers, I'll self-publish them. It's a scary thought, but why have them sit here when someone might just want to buy them and read them (and maybe make SOME money)? If that day comes, I might just be looking for some guidance from some of you.

Have a good weekend & happy reading!


7 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Luckily for you there's a lot of good information on self publishing on the net now.

It can be a little overwhelming at first. And the formatting still gives me migraines, but it can be done if I don't rush.

The only advice I can give you is to hire an editor when your final draft is ready. That's the one thing I never skimp on.

Any regular press will put your draft through at least two or three editors before it's ready to publish so you can do no less.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! I'd kill my daughter too. LOL

Good luck with the self-publishing if you decide to do it. It's nice to know it's there if you need/want it.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I do have my husband to help with formatting and stuff. He's already practicing (just in case). So it will be nice if I didn't have to deal with that. And don't worry, I plan on getting my books professionally edited. That only makes sense!

Jennifer - Thanks for the luck. It's kind of scary, but if that's the way I have to go, then I'll do it.

The Happy Whisk said...

Sounds like a great deal of fun, on every level. Go you for making a plan.

Rah.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Yeah, plans are good. They help motivate me, anyway (and keep track of time!).

Todd R Moody said...

This is a constant struggle for me too Stacy, I have way too many things to distract me and my book list keeps getting longer. I know you will work through it!

Anonymous said...

Curse me all you like! You love me for it! :D