Friday, August 3, 2012

On the Road Today

I will be attending a family reunion in NJ on Saturday, which means I'm on the road today (with my husband, of course). I always try to make it to this reunion. Since I grew up on the other side of the country, I didn't know the cousins on my father's side of the family (he moved from NJ to CA when he was 22 – 10 years to the date before I was born). Now I know them better than the cousins on my mother's side!

* * *

Not that I'm surprised, but the Olympics has nearly halted my writing. Since I'm home all day, I can watch more of the games (some events I wouldn't normally watch, too) and I have been. Ah, but it's only for a couple of weeks. I think my writing will survive. And it hasn't stopped completely.

Of course, a lot of my lack of writing is probably due to my lack of sleep. I'm up until after midnight watching the games and then I get up at 6:15 to exercise. I'm looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday!

* * *

I heard some discouraging news – from my husband, no less. He was telling me about a new hire at his employer's. Apparently no head hunter would help her find a job because she was unemployed.

I haven't applied to any head hunter, but I have applied to employment agencies. I thought for sure I'd hear back from them (especially since they've helped me in the past). But I haven't heard ONE word from all the resumes I've sent out. I don't mention I'm not employed, but it sure feels like everyone knows!

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever have another accounting job again. Now whether that's a good thing or a bad thing…only time will tell. J

I hope you have a good weekend. I certainly will!

5 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

Have fun at your renunion!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Stacy, This is a bad time time to look, nevermind the economy. A lot of decision-makers are on vacation, and all the recent grads are out looking, too. That's weird about the headhunters. I still get emails and calls from them, and I haven't been on the job market for five years! But seriously - enjoy your time off (and the reunion!). I bet you will get another job when hiring picks up in a few weeks.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Anne - I will! Just wish it weren't so hot!

Jennette - I know a lot of people are applying. A position at my husband's work (for a customer service position) merited 150 resumes! Eeek! But I really thought I would have heard back from the agencies (since they have been advertising). I'm not going to worry too much. If I don't get a job, I don't. Just means I gotta work harder on my writing. Yeah, twist my arm! :)

Jeanne Estridge said...

Hang in there. For what it's worth, I'm droolingly envious of your writing time.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeanne - I'm kind of loving all that writing time, too!