Wednesday, August 15, 2012

To Award or Not To Award

No favorites this week. I think I ran out anyway. But if any more come to me (or if you have a suggestion), I'll continue to list them on Wednesday.

* * *

I have a question for you all. Do you like blogger awards? Do you like receiving blogger awards? I know they aren't chain letters, but sometimes they sure feel like it, especially with statements like this:

"To accept this award, you must pass it on to seven other bloggers."

Yeah, sure, I don't have to follow the rules. And I could just not accept the award. But then I just feel bad. I hate feeling bad.

I guess I've never really seen the purpose of a blogger award. Are they just a way to get a post written? To get more followers? They have helped me with the first; can't say they helped with the second.

Maybe my problem with awards is that there are so many out there. They have kind of lost their meaning, their specialness. Everyone seems to get them; everyone seems to pass them on. Am I overreacting here? Have I just shot myself in the foot? What do you think? I'm open to hear your opinions! Maybe you can change mine.

* * *

On Monday, I blogged about writing 10,000 words this week. I think that mark was a bit ambitious. With reading MY SUNNY VAMPIRE (out loud) in the afternoon, I don't get quite as much written as I should. I'm also a little stuck on Book #5, so it's going slow in the morning, too. Ugh! So, yeah, I really don't think I'll hit that 10,000 word mark this week. It was a good thought, though.


4 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I'm not big on blogger awards. By now, most people who follow me know that I thank them sincerely but I won't post it or pass it on.

It's just another buddy-buddy thing. Cute, but time consuming.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I'm totally with you in that there are so many, they aren't really special. I mean, anyone can make one up! I do like receiving them, and for the reason you noted. :) I don't always pass them on, partly because yes, it feels too much like a chain letter, and 2) often, by the time I get around to blogging it, most of the people I follow have already received it from someone else.

LD Masterson said...

When I first started blogging, I loved the idea of blog awards, but as time goes on I'm less excited. They don't seem to really say anything about the blog or the blogger and the "to accept this award you must" parts are getting pretty repetitive.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - Yeah, even though awards help me with a post, I have found them to be time consuming (especially when there are lots of people to contact!).

Jennette - When I have received these awards, I also didn't know who to pass them on to. I always felt like I was heaping work onto someone!

Linda - Maybe these awards are best for the newbies! Or non-writers!