Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wednesday Reads and Other Stuff

Got to walk yesterday, finally! The new shoes work better, but my feet still hurt. I guess I just need to get used to walking again. Of course, it would help if I could do it every day or at least three times a week instead of once a week. Eventually, the weather will cooperate (and it’s getting closer), so I can do that.

Another “light” week of reading. Actually, I think this book was longer than my usual fare (the page number was similar, but the print way smaller).

Apr 26: “Heart-Shaped Box” by Joe Hill. This is a horror book and was recommended to me from a friend (who is also a Stephen King fan, like myself). Blurb on back: Aging death-metal rock legend Judas Coyne is a collector of the macabre: a cookbook for cannibals…a used hangman’s noose…a snuff film. But nothing he possesses is as unique or as dreadful as his latest purchase off the Internet: a one-of-a-kind curiosity that arrives at his door in a black heart-shaped box…a musty dead man’s suit still inhabited by the spirit of its late owner. And now everywhere Judas Coyne goes, the old man is there--watching, waiting, dangling a razor blade on a chain from his bony hand. I think “The Dead Man’s Suit” would have been a more appropriate title, but hey, I’m lousy at titles, so what do I know? The book started out a little slow, but I stuck with it and glad I did. When it gathered steam, it kept on rolling. I didn’t care for Jude at the beginning, so the author (oh yeah, did I mention he’s Stephen King’s son?) did a good job of making me care at the end. If you like whacked-out ghost stories, this book is for you. I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads.

Looking forward to watching the Penguins play in the Stanley Cup playoffs. I hope they make it allllll the way!!! Go Pens!
 
Happy Reading!

Stacy

 

4 comments:

Michael Seese said...

At least he didn't title it "Dead Man Shaving."

Stacy McKitrick said...

Michael - Ha ha!!

LD Masterson said...

I'm not into horror so I'm afraid this one doesn't appeal to me. But I'm glad you got to walk.

The Happy Whisk said...

Hope the Pens make it for you. I've never seen a game but I hear it's great fun.

Woohoo on your walking. Very cool.