Wednesday, September 11, 2013

No Wednesday Reads, Just Miscellaneous Stuff

Oh no! What happened? I’m back home, that’s what. AND I’m reading a longer-than-usual book. That means no books finished in the past week. Good thing I’m six books ahead in my Goodreads 2013 Reading Challenge.

I also got some bad news, which didn’t help in the reading or writing. Bite Me was rejected. L To say the news stung is an understatement. Oh well, I must press onward. I have other options, so it’s not a dead project. Just not the route I wished to take.

In my effort to figure out how to promote myself (because, let’s face it, books don’t always sell themselves, do they?), I joined some Lyrical Press “sisters” on a Facebook page--Sizzle and Sass. The main kick-off starts on Oct 1 and each author (there are 13 of us - is that lucky or what?) has control of the page for a week (my first week is Nov 3-9), but if you wish to LIKE the page now, we won’t object. I did send out some invites, but tried to be selective. In that instance, I could have missed some people (like you!). It’s all about having a good time (we don’t want to bombard the fans with sales, but yeah, our books will be mentioned at times). So if you’re interested, or know someone who loves to read romance, let them know about our page! Here’s the link (I hope it works!): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sizzle-and-Sass/213212842173895

The anthology my local RWA chapter is putting together (which includes two of my short stories) apparently hit a snag (or communications error). The book was planned to be released in August. I have no idea when it’ll be out now, but I’m guessing the theme, Summer Reads, won’t fit so much now. Hmmm… I’ll let you know more when I learn more.

So, what do you do when you get bad news? I usually reach for some comfort food, which in my case is a spoonful of Skippy creamy peanut butter. But did I have any in the house when I wanted it? Of course not! My husband had finished off the jar while I was at Dragon*Con. Talk about depressing! I’m good now, though. J

Happy reading! I should have at least one book to list next Wednesday.

Stacy

 

13 comments:

JeffO said...

I'm sorry to hear about the rejection, that's tough news to take. Sounds like you're maintaining a pretty good attitude, though. And a spoonful of Skippy is strangely satisfying, isn't it?

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I love Skippy! Chocolate is okay, but not my go-to food. I will make sure to always have enough on hand, because I'm sure there will be more rejection down the road! I'm a writer, it's a given. Right?

Maria Zannini said...

Re: Summer Reads
LOL. We're way past summer now, even if it doesn't feel like it where I live.

Re: bad news
Shrug it off. There are plenty of other publishers in the ocean as well as self-publishing options.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - It still feels like summer here, too! It's going to be in the 90s again today (3 days in a row - official heat wave), but on Friday the high will be 68. Bye-bye heat.

And I am trying to shrug it off. Time is helping. So is writing.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Bummer about Bite Me! I do know someone who can help if you decide to go the selfpub route. :) Of course, you still get rejections there, too- from reviewers and readers. All part of being a writer, like you say!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Bummer about Bite Me! I do know someone who can help if you decide to go the selfpub route. :) Of course, you still get rejections there, too- from reviewers and readers. All part of being a writer, like you say!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Yep, rejection comes from everywhere. Guess I should consider all those job interviews I had failed at (and there were lots - I just don't interview well)as practice! :)

Jen B said...

Sorry to hear about your news. :(

I forgot about peanut butter for a while, but have been really into Skippy lately. Spoonful is the best way for sure.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jen B - I could go crazy with the peanut butter (I just LOVE Skippy), but know better. So, I use it sparingly. Unless, of course, I need me some comfort! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Sorry to read about the rejection. And wait, did I read correctly, your hubby ate the rest of the peanut butter? Oh man.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Yep, he ate it ALL. Talk about being pissed! I now have TWO jars of my creamy and there's one jar of his crunchy (which he prefers). I'll make sure we're never out again! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Hubby's. What can we do?

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Just love 'em, I suppose! :)