Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wednesday Reads and WHAT'S THIS WHITE STUFF ON THE GROUND?

Tuesday morning I woke up to some snow on the yard. It was so cold out, it didn’t even all melt during the day. The maple tree in my yard still has green leaves on it (apparently, it doesn’t realize its leaves should have turned color or dropped off by now). I'm not ready for winter!!

All this cold weather is really making me appreciate the hubby’s and my upcoming cruise. Warm weather, here I come! And I’ve gotten my Nook stocked with books to read. That thing better not fail me, or it will be the last time I count on it.

Next week there will be no reading list (as well as no blogging, period, since I’ll be without internet) and this week’s is light. Here’s what I read during the last week:

Nov 7: “Double Dexter” by Jeff Lindsay. This is the sixth book of the Dexter Series, a horror. Blurb on book: A witness. Such a simple concept--and yet for Dexter Morgan, the perfectly well-disguised monster, the possibility of a witness is unthinkable. But when Dexter is on a very private, very satisfying excursion one evening with a wretchedly deserving playmate, the unthinkable happens: someone sees him. Dexter is not at all pleased. As an upstanding blood-spatter analyst for the Miami Police Department, he has always managed to keep the darker side of his life out of the spotlight…the fun part, where he finds truly bad people--murderers who have escaped the reach of the justice system--and quietly gives them his very special attentions. But now that he’s been seen and identified by his witness, Dexter must launch himself into a different kind of hunt. Making matters worse, a brutal cop killer is targeting Miami’s police detectives, leaving behind bodies that are battered beyond recognition…and completely bloodless. As the department grows more fearful of the psychotic killer in their midst, Dexter must handle his own crisis and come to terms with the fact that his witness is not only circling him but determined to expose him. Dexter is being followed, manipulated, and mimicked…leading him to realize that no one likes to have a double, especially when his double’s goal is to kill him. In this book, Dexter is a little dense. He’s a smart guy (he has to be to get away with murder, right?); he should have come to some conclusions a lot earlier than he did. But it was still an entertaining read and had me guessing how it would all end. I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads and will finish up the series AFTER my cruise.

In other news: I finally figured out how to “fix” BITE ME so I could get rid of a character my editor thought was “too much.” I spent the last week revising the story and now it’s with my daughter to read. She’ll let me know if my solution works. The surprising part is, I kind of like the new version better (and I was so sure I NEEDED that character). Who knew? Anyway, I’m crossing my fingers all goes well and I can get the ms to my editor before I leave on our cruise. Then I won’t be ABLE to check my e-mail every ten minutes, since I won’t have internet.

Are you crossing your fingers for anything? Like, maybe, winning NaNo? Do tell!

Happy reading!

Stacy

 

6 comments:

JeffO said...

My wife is reading one of the Dexter books now. She told me I should read some of them, that I might find the books interesting from a writer's perspective (paranoia: What is the meaning of this? Is she telling me I'm no good? Gahh!).

I'm crossing my fingers that my daughter is going to make it through this week--the musical at school opens tomorrow. We hardly see her, she's at rehearsal ALL. THE. TIME. Enjoy your cruise!

Maria Zannini said...

Most of the country got hit with that Canadian northern.

Even we got some freezing weather. (A little early for us.) I'm waiting for full daylight before I venture out to check on everyone.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I wrapped all the exposed water pipes.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I can't say I find the Dexter books interesting from a writer's perspective (I've found verb tense errors that totally confused me). But I do LOVE the way the author has made me root for this serial killer, so maybe that's what she means? And, good luck to your daughter. My daughter used to be involved with theatre arts in school, too. She had a blast.

Maria - Hope your pipes survived! It dipped into the low 20s here and the snow is STILL on the ground, which is just way too early for me!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Winning Nano would be nice! Good luck with your revision!

LD Masterson said...

Snow on the group. Freezing temperatures. And when I picked up my grandson from high school yesterday, half the kids (including mine) were dressed in shorts and hoodies. I felt old.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I'm rooting for you to win in NaNo!

LD - Shorts??? Yee gads!