Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Wednesday Reads and Movie Night

I’ve got to read some shorter books. These longs one are putting me behind. Like three books behind! Dang! And it’s only January. Anyway, here’s what I read during the week:

Jan 21: “Beautiful Darkness” by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. This is a YA paranormal, the second in the Caster series, and I got this book as a Christmas gift. Blurb on cover: Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena’s family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen. Sometimes life-ending. Together Ethan and Lena can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan’s eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there’s no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town’s tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems. I’m still enjoying the series, although this book wasn’t quite as good as the first. Parts of it seemed to drag a little, I guess. Plus, I wanted more of Ethan and Lena (whiny reader here). I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads.

Went and saw “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit” last night (discount movie night). It was good. Chris Pine wasn’t too bad to look at, either (haha!). If this is the re-boot of the series, I’d go see the next one. Funny how I could NEVER get into reading the books (too technical for me), but I’ve loved the movies. Or maybe it was the actors in the movies! Okay, maybe a little bit of both.

Next movie I see will probably be “Vampire Academy.” Now, those books I loved. Any movies you’ve gone out to see recently? Any recommendations (either to go to or stay away from)?

Happy reading!

Stacy

 

10 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

We haven't been to the movies in ages. The husband hasn't been home much.

I used to read Tom Clancy books, but I got tired of asking hubby about the technical jargon. Still, the plotting was great!

B.E. Sanderson said...

You'll catch back up. No worries. It's just the ebb and flow of long books and short books. :hugs:

I haven't read those books yet. The covers always intrigue me for some reason, though, so I might have to pick up a copy and see if the stories hook me like the covers do.

I'm a little leery about seeing this new Jack Ryan. He'll always be Harrison Ford in my head. I know when I saw the trailer and Chris Pine, I thought "why can't that guy find roles of his own to play - first Kirk then Ryan?" And the secret to the books is to scan over the technical jargon. The stories inside are pretty good. =o)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I remember when my husband was stationed in Korea, I didn't go out to the movies then, either. No fun going alone!

B.E. - I saw the movie, "Beautiful Creatures," which got me interested in the stories. That, and my daughter TELLING me I had to read it. Haha!

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm headed to google Chris Pine ...

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - You're apparently not a Star Trek fan, huh?

The Happy Whisk said...

I am a HUGE Star Trek fan, but only of the original. The rest, not so much. Though I hear people really like the new stuff.

Stacy McKitrick said...

I love all things Star Trek, although my least favorite was Deep Space Nine. They never WENT anywhere! Haha!

The Happy Whisk said...

Yeah, I hear good things but haven't been able to get into any of them. Not even when Scott B was captain.

LD Masterson said...

Hubby and I are going to see August:Osage County tomorrow. We saw the play a couple years ago and loved it.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - You'll have to let me know how the movie is. I am intrigued...