Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Wednesday Reads

It's October! And it will be a busy month. Going on a trip to Toronto to see my daughter play Footy. Going to Dublin, OH to see my daughter play Footy. Oh, and I go on a cruise in 25 days!!! Whoo hoo!

Writing is going well, which means reading isn’t. That’s the price I pay, I guess. Anyway, here’s what I read this week:

Sep 25: “Exposed to Passion” by Gemma Brocato, the 3rd book in the Five Senses series, a contemporary romance. Blurb from Goodreads: They walked through the shadows individually. Will they emerge into the light together? Leading a vagabond life as a curator for a traveling photography exhibit translates to a lot of bad days for Rikki Salerno. But her trouble doubles when a careless high school student shoves her into a marsh. Being rescued by teacher Sam Kerrigan should have made things better, but Rikki's inability to confess her true identity casts a shadow over their budding affair. When Sam refuses an overly aggressive parent's marriage proposal, she's determined to ruin him. Not only does she doctor photos to make it look like Sam's behaved inappropriately in front of students, she hacks the foundation website to reveal Rikki's true identity. Faster than the blink of a shutter, Rikki's focus changes from pursuing her full-color future to the black and white necessity of clearing Sam's name. Choked me up there at the end. That doesn’t happen too often. Highly recommend if you like contemporary romance. I’m not a huge fan of the genre and I thought this book was great. Now I have to wait and see if another one is coming out (I hope there is) and wonder which character will be featured. All the siblings have been taken! By the way, I won this book, but was ready to order it as soon as it was available, which I believe isn’t until October 20th. So you all have to wait! Neener neener!

Sep 26: “Bringing a Ghost to Life” by Meg Cooper, an erotic paranormal short story. Blurb from Goodreads: Rebecca Fletcher and her sorority sisters plan to spend Halloween night in a supposedly haunted abandoned frat house. Legend says that if you stay in the frat, the ghost will visit you and give you an unbelievable night of passion. Rebecca doesn’t believe in the legend, much less ghosts. But when the ghost of Lawrence Lawson — Law, for short — visits, Rebecca finds she may just want to open her mind. And body. I'm not a huge fan of short stories because they're, um, short! But this was free and I couldn't resist and for a short story, it did what I wanted: it entertained me for the thirty minutes I walked on the treadmill (which was perfect). J It also counted as a book toward my Goodreads goal (yeah, I cheated, so sue me!). But for a Halloween story… well, I would have liked it to be spookier. But hey, that’s the horror reader in me. I see Halloween and that’s what I expect. Interesting story, though.

Happy reading!

Stacy

9 comments:

JeffO said...

Lots of traveling in your future--have fun!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - It does seem that way, doesn't it? Mostly weekend stuff, but I'll take it. I need to get out of this house every once in awhile! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

If you could only do one thing for the rest of time, either read or write - but never both. Which would you pick?

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Pick only one? Are you nuts? Wait a minute. I think you are! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Seriously. If you were in the Twilight Zone and y ou could only do one, which would you pick?

Me, writing. No contest. I read bunches but if I HAD to pick, writing, always.

Tag. You're it. Which do you pick?

Michael Seese said...

As I've said before, I'm amazed you have the time to read while you write. I know I should, but...

Stacy McKitrick said...

Michael - It helps I can read while walking on the treadmill. That's pretty much when I get it in now.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Okay. I'll pick writing. As long as I can READ my own writing! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Hahaha, I was thinking the same when I picked writing. If I had to pick.