Monday, November 21, 2016

Making Lists and Getting Things Done!

I’ve started making lists and I’m actually getting stuff done. Imagine that, huh?

My mind had been filled with a flurry of tasks, but I wasn’t accomplishing anything because as I went to do something, I’d get side tracked.

Every. Time.

Then I remembered something I was told in this class I took about dealing with stress and life issues (which I took because I thought it would help me when the day came I needed heart surgery). Teacher suggested I write down four things I wanted to accomplish that day and how good it would feel to mark stuff off. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying.

Boy, does that list making thing WORK. I feel so much less frazzled. And it DOES feel good crossing stuff off. Really good.

Since making my lists, I finally sent that e-mail to the Santa Barbara Visitor’s Bureau to request brochures on their beaches. I want these for a convention in May, but if I can’t get them, I need time to figure out another plan. I can’t afford to procrastinate here. I’ve been meaning to do this since September, but kept forgetting or would tell myself I’d do it after such and such thing, which never happened. But I put it on my list and BAM! It got done.

Since making my lists, I finally got my post cards ordered for that same convention (I can’t sell my books at the book signing so I want to give away post cards of the covers). So glad to get that over and done with. I have Vista Print to partially thank for kicking my butt into gear. If not for their sale (which ended yesterday), I might not have listed it. But I did and I finished it. Yeah!

Since making my lists, I finally called my mom to tell her I’m coming out to visit and to make sure she heard about my son’s upcoming wedding (I told my dad, but sometimes he forgets to pass info on). You’d think I wouldn’t need to write this down, but every time I remembered to call her it was either too early or too late (I cannot interrupt her soaps, you see, and she’s in PST and I’m in EST). Seeing “Call Mom” on the list over and over reminded me at the right time! Whoo hoo!

I tend to write down more than 4 things each day, but look to accomplish at least 4. And so far I’ve only included non-writing issues. Next I need to try and include writing. But my problem has never been about writing. It’s been about the stuff that’s keeping me from writing. So if I can keep a list for completing non-writing stuff and get that done efficiently, it will certainly clear up my mind to write. At least, that’s my hope. **fingers crossed**

Football Update:

  • High School: Wayne lost in the Region 3 final. What a shocker. They did not play like they played all season. Passes were missed. Mistakes were made. It was a very stressful game. I was hoping we’d at least go into overtime (we’d been tied what seemed like forever), but the other team scored a field goal with no time left on the clock. At least most of our team will return next year and they certainly went farther than we even dreamed at the beginning of the season.
  • College: OSU Buckeyes squeaked by with a win. I wasn’t able to see this game, and it was probably just as well. USC Trojans beat their rivals, UCLA. Very happy about that one and if the game hadn’t started so late (10:30pm my time), I would have watched it, too.
  • NFL: Steelers finally won, but then they were playing the winless Browns. Hey, I’ll take the win. Rams could have won their game, but apparently they only know how to play 3 quarters. What a disappointment.

So… How do you manage to accomplish tasks/errands? Do you make lists? Have a To Do jar and pull from that? Does your system work? Please share!

Happy Monday!

Stacy

7 comments:

JeffO said...

Bummer about Wayne. Losing when you get to that level really stinks, but hopefully they will learn from it/build on it, and also ultimately realize what a special season they had.

We made our Thanksgiving shopping list last night, does that count? It's really big....

Steelers: one of the marks of a good team is you beat the teams you're supposed to. Once in a while you have a brain cramp and lose a game you should win, but it you don't beat the teams you're supposed to beat, you generally don't get to play for the big prize (NHL Bruins are doing a surprisingly good job of beating teams they're supposed to beat this year; I'm hoping they continue.

Hey, I think I just made a list!

Maria Zannini said...

I am a long time list maker. I've been doing it since I was a kid.

Greg complains that I'm a workaholic but the truth is I'm very organized. It only looks like I get a lot done because things fall into place quicker.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Wayne made it to the state championship game the last two years. Lost both times. After their first few games this year, when we actually saw them play, we really thought they would make it and win this time around. So yeah, we were disappointed, but they made it farther than most teams, so we just have to look at the positives.

Maria - I have a feeling you are a workaholic, though. You don't seem happy unless you're busy! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Congrats on your son getting hitched.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Thanks. I'm looking forward to being a Mother-in-law! :)

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I would be totally lost without my lists! Way back in the day, my company gave me a day-planner. My lists were pretty much all I did with it, in addition to the occasional calendar note. Now I use Cozi Family Organizer (it's both a website and smartphone app).

And yay for the Steelers!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Putting a list on my smartphone would not be smart for me. I pretty much hate that thing, except for reading e-mails, messages, Facebook, and answering the occasional call (usually from Hubby).