Monday, December 5, 2016

A Mouse in the House...So Far

Last Wednesday, while Daughter and I were watching the Penguins hockey game, I saw something shoot across the room. Now, I normally see things “move” and it ends up being a reflection on my glasses or something, so I brushed it off to that. Then a minute later, Daughter lifted her feet off the floor and said, “Hello, there.” The mouse then scooted under the couch.

Well, it’s nice to know I wasn’t SEEING things. I think.

A couple of days went by without a sighting and I kind of hoped he’d left where he came from. Not so. Hubby was working late at night in the breakfast nook when the little critter shot past him into the family room. Okay… time to get a trap.

We finally bought some yesterday. They are now set up. I hope we catch the bugger before we leave on our cruise.

In other news… I finally got the tree up and decorated. Yay! Now I just have to get the Christmas cards mailed. At least the letter’s written. That’s usually the hold-up.

Weekend football update:

  • College: OSU Buckeyes finished the season ranked #3. Whew! They’re now playing for the National Championship. I’m just kind of bummed the Fiesta Bowl is on Dec 31st. Why not New Year’s?? And if the game doesn’t start until 7pm (time hasn’t been determined yet), I guess we’ll be watching the game during my friend’s New Year’s Eve party. Good thing her fiancé is a fan!!
  • NFL: Steelers played well. Yay! Bengals shocked me (or maybe the Eagles just had a bad day?). And the Rams? Another loss. Boo.

Daughter has been wanting tickets to see the Penguins play the Flyers at Heinz Field in the Coors Light NHL Stadium Series (February 25, 2017), but tickets don’t go on sale to the general public until December 6th. On Friday I got the presale code to order tickets early. Talk about being shocked! I’m so glad I didn’t delete that e-mail. I quickly got on line and snagged two tickets. Then I made sure I got a hotel room (because it’s a night game). Daughter and I are going. She’s ecstatic. I’m hoping it’s not freezing outside then! Haha!

On Saturday I attended a luncheon/book signing benefiting Toys for Tots. 150 toys were donated to the charity. Pretty good when there were less than 75 attending. I gave a copy of A Vampire Wedding (as well as some other goodies) to those people sitting at my table during the luncheon. I purposely did not sign the book, hoping that would give them an excuse to stop by during the signing, see what else I wrote and maybe buy a book. It was a good plan, don’t you think? I just wish it had worked. Not one person stopped by. Oh well…

So… Have you ever watched a hockey game outside? Did you freeze? Maybe it won’t be any colder than a rink. February 25th is close to being spring. Right?

(All kidding aside, I am excited to see the game.)

Happy Monday!

Stacy

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your daughter is going to be so excited! I would love to see a hockey game outside.
Hope you find your mouse before you leave.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I hope I catch that mouse, too. This morning he was in my bathroom! Ugh.

Maria Zannini said...

We get mice in our outside feed building. We used peanut butter in the traps. They can't resist it.


To keep them from coming in the house, we use steel wool in the seep holes around the brick of our home. Mostly we do this to keep the scorpions out, but it'll keep Mickey from coming in too.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Never been to an outdoor hockey game. But I have had mice in my house! I find Tip-traps to be the most effective way to get them. Only catch is, you have to release them over a mile away, or they can re-home. Good luck!

JeffO said...

I love hockey, but the idea of sitting and watching one in a football or baseball stadium... ( •_•)>⌐■-■ leaves me cold. (⌐■_■)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - If I ever find out where they're coming in from (although, it's probably the basement), I'll certainly look into getting the hole plugged! At least it's just one...that I know of.

Jennette - No way did I want to worry about the mouse coming back, so we have a kill trap.

Jeff - But, but, it's in HEINZ Stadium! :)

Jennifer Lee Rossman said...

"Hello there"? She was awfully calm! I love mice, but I'd be very freaked out if one was under my feet.
We had mice in our house when I was a kid. Dad didn't like opening traps to reuse them, so he threw the mouse and trap outside, where the neighbors' cats would carry them off. I wonder if they ever brought them home, and what the people must have thought when they found a mousetrap on their doorstep...

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennifer - Oh yes, she was VERY calm. More amused than anything. I ran out of the room! Guess she didn't get it from me, huh? Haha!