Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Wednesday Reads and Writing Projects

Seems I had TWO writing projects pertaining to my upcoming appearance at Rust City Book Con. One is the short story (I’m still working on) about hidden treasures that I mentioned here last week. The other is a flash fiction, round robin kind of thing. One author starts the story and it gets handed down for the next author to continue until it gets to the last one who has to wrap things up. And you only have a few days to get it written, too! I got lucky. I got to start it. Not so lucky, I was given the assignment on Friday. Aaack!! Wonder of all wonders, I actually wrote something and submitted it. Whew! I’ll let you know when it posts (because apparently it will post soon).

Here’s what I read the past week:

Dates read: March 20-23
Title: “Wolf Tales 9”
Year of publication: 2010
Author: Kate Douglas
Genre: Erotic paranormal romance
Series: Wolf Tales #9
# of Pages: 246
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book: In the dead of a Montana night, all the Chanku packs have gathered, not for a hunt, but for a vigil. As Tia and Luc prepare for the arrival of their twins, Chanku from across the country wait—and share their stories of becoming…
   For each, embracing the truth of who and what they are has been a life-altering experience. From Anton and Oliver’s journey of discovery to Jacob Trent’s dark night of the soul; from the intensely powerful relations Mik and AJ shared even before they knew about Chanku to Stefan’s torturous feral years, the stories are woven together by common threads: loneliness, brutality, tenderness—and the ultimate satisfaction of finding one’s place in the pack.
   The revelations of primal desire and human need made this night will bring the Chanku closer than even they dreamed possible. But will the bond be strong enough when the united packs are called upon to save the most vulnerable among them…?
My thoughts: If you’re looking for hot sex scenes, this book has it for you. If you’re looking for another story within the Wolf Tales, well… It’s a bit thin. Kind of reminds me of those television series who do recaps/back flashes after being on the air for so many years. Nice memories, but no real story.

Hubby update: Two weeks of radiation and he’s still able to swallow. Hope that lasts. He hasn’t lost his appetite and his taste buds are sort of returning. We’ll see how that goes when he gets his second round of chemo next week. These next few weeks just aren’t going fast enough.

So… Do you work better with fast deadlines or long deadlines? I’m beginning to think the faster ones work better for me. Probably because I finished the short one and I’m still working on the long one. J

Happy Reading!

Stacy

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's writing under pressure.
If the fast deadline is finish a full story in under four weeks, it's just not going to happen. I'm too slow of a writer. (Three hundred-fifty words per hour on a good day.) But I do well with most deadlines. I'm also a lazy writer so I need that motivation.
Hope your husband stays the course and is done soon.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Oh, I'd love to write a book in four weeks, but my mind can't work like that right now. Six months has been my fastest, and that was for my first book. I've gotten slower with each book written, but I go through less revisions now, too!

Maria Zannini said...

Fast deadlines, definitely. The longer you have, the more chance you have to lose your momentum.

JeffO said...

Pressure usually brings out something halfway decent in me, whereas long deadlines somethings leave me dithering for weeks. Glad your husband is doing well!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I'm kind of seeing that now. Unfortunately, I think I need someone else to set the deadline. Mine don't work. :)

Jeff - Dithering. Yeah, I've been doing lots of dithering. :)

Tanja said...

Agree w/ Jeff. Also, w/ a fast dd less chance for something to interfere. Keeping your hubby and family in my prayer list. Stay strong and I like the positive signs so far.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Tanja - I'm hanging onto those positive signs, hoping it won't be as bad for him as we've been told it could be.

LD Masterson said...

Yeah, I'm a tight deadline person. I used to have a sign in my office at work that read: "If it wasn't for deadlines, I'd never get anything done."

You know I'm not primarily a romance reader, but I sure do like coming over and checking out the latest covers. *fans self*

Keeping your hubby in my prayers.

Stacy McKitrick said...

LD - Yeah, that cover is pretty hot. :)