Monday, May 8, 2017

So Glad to be Home

So… RT happened. Still big. Still draining (at least to me). And still no pictures (I know, you’re not surprised). Whether or not RT did me any good sales-wise will take time to decide. It’s not like I could sell any of my books there. Some interested readers stopped by my table for some postcards and I got a few more newsletter signups, so that’s good. But I didn’t go to this convention expecting anything huge.

I did, however, expect a better turnout for one of the events I was involved with. Don’t know what caused a low turnout, especially since other parties of the same nature got a full house. Guess we’ll never know.

Will I go to another RT? Well, I won’t go next year. It’s in Reno (too far for me). If it’s closer in 2019 AND I have a new book out, I may go again. I do get to meet up with a lot of author friends, so there’s that.

When I think back on the events/panels I attended at previous RTs, I didn’t go to many reader events (only those parties at night, and mainly because they involved a meal). But I decided to try Cinema Craptastique in Dallas (2015). Man, that was so much fun, I had to go again this year.

I can hear Jeff asking all the way out here, “What is Cinema Craptastique?” Well, you see, Damon Suede (erotica author) takes this really bad movie and just picks it apart, while everyone in the room (and all around wherever, who are watching the flick at the same time as those of us at the con) are tweeting about how bad this movie is. That’s right. Tweeting. I don’t do the tweeting part, but I do enjoy making fun of bad movies. In 2015 he picked “Hercules” (starring Kellen Lutz). This year he picked a real bomb: “Glitter.”

I had never heard of this movie and there was a good reason for that. #1, it debuted on 9/11/2001 (I kid you not!), and #2, it starred Mariah Carrey (that girl can NOT act). Of course, it didn’t help that whoever wrote the screenplay, couldn’t write, either. It was just bad, bad, BAD!

Tonight is game 6 of round 2 between the Penguins and Capitals. This better be the last game of round 2 between these two. I do NOT want a game 7. Let’s go Pens!!

So… What’s going on in your world? Anything interesting?

Happy Monday!

Stacy

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

After what they did to Sid, the Pens need to take them down.
I do remember Glitter and heard it was awful. So, Cinema Craptastique is basically RiffTrax and MST3K?
Sorry it wasn't quite a great year for RT.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Since I don't know what RiffTrax or MST3K is, I can't say. And I wouldn't say it wasn't a GREAT year since I got to do things, but I think all RTs are like that. Yet, I keep going. Haha!

Maria Zannini said...

I don't know how you do it with all the trips you take. One trip is enough to last me the year! You're a regular jet-setter/cruise-setter.

Sorry RT didn't measure up to the last one. I guess they can't all be great. At least you got to mingle with friends.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

But did you have FUN at RT? It sounds like you did, so that's a win!

And you totally need to look for Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K). They might have it on Netflix, if you have that. It's a guy and two robots watching bad movies and making fun of them. It's HILARIOUS!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I don't know how I do it, either. Next year looks like I won't be going to ANY cons. Wonder if I'll get withdrawals. :)

Jennette - I did have fun. In as much as I can usually have with those things. Haha!

JeffO said...

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like fun. John Oliver just referenced Glitter on Last Week Tonight this weekend.

I do hope you had a good time, and that RT has some positive impact on your sales!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I'm sure John Oliver didn't have anything good to say about that movie, either. I noticed it got a 2 on IMDB. What a dud!