Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Wednesday Reads and Avoidance

Here’s what I read the past week:

Book #42

Dates read: June 28-July 6
Title: “Wolf Tales 11”
Year of publication: 2011
Author: Kate Douglas
Genre: Paranormal erotic romance
Series: Wolf Tales #11
# of Pages: 298
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: They are Chanku, a race of shapeshifters whose bodies hunger for sexual passion and pleasure. Protective of their own, the Chanku have always relied upon their primal instincts to keep their packs safe…until now. Tala and Lisa have been kidnapped and no one knows where they are. Mik, AJ, and Tinker fear not only for the safety of their mates but for that of their unborn children as well…
    Unwilling to concede to the kidnappers’ demands, the men summon Anton for help. Devising a daring rescue plan of his own, Anton calls upon all the Chanku to lose themselves in an erotic encounter like never before. As they link together and succumb to complete carnal desire, their sexual energy fills him with a superhuman ability to outmatch even their strongest enemy…
My thoughts: Hmmm… Besides the kidnapping part, the pace was too slow for me. It just seemed to drag on forever. Of course, all those forevers were filled with sex. I’m beginning to think that too much is just…too much. I only have one left in this series before I can call it quits. And since I bought them all, I will read them.

Book #43

Dates read: July 6-8
Title: “Avenge Me”
Year of publication: 2014
Author: Maisey Yates
Genre: Contemporary romance (steamy)
Series: #1 in the Fifth Avenue trilogy
# of Pages: 264
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Free (from some convention)
Blurb from book: Austin Treffen was born into a world of privilege, but behind its gilded doors lies a corruption so sordid New York’s elite would never believe it—especially as his infamous philanthropic father is at its core! With everything he believed in shattered, how can Austin take down his father—risking his family name and those he loves—without any proof.
    Until one earth-shattering night with Katy Michaels unlocks not only their deepest, most passionate desires but also the key to bringing Jason Treffen’s reign to an end. But with an intense sexual attraction that combines a heady mix of exquisite pleasure and subline pain, will they satiate their thirst for revenge and each other…or lose themselves forever in the darkness?
My thoughts: The blurb intrigued me, which is why I had kept this book around to read for so long. It’s a good book, and a lot steamier (close to BDSM) than I expected (not that I’m complaining about that). And while the couple’s story has a satisfying ending, the overall story is left hanging. Yeah, that tends to happen with series. Thing is, different authors write the other books and those stories don’t intrigue me like this one did. Probably why I’ve never been a Harlequin fan (which yes, this book is).

Yesterday was a good day to start working on my next novel. So what do I do instead? Clean the kitchen. And I HATE cleaning. Why am I putting it off? It’s baffling me.

So… What would be a surprising thing you’d stoop to doing as an excuse to do something you THOUGHT you loved doing? And are there to many “do”s in that sentence? I’m thinking there is. J

Happy Reading!

Stacy

 

4 comments:

JeffO said...

Maybe it's your mind's way of telling you, "Hold on, not quite ready yet!" It probably won't take too long to get ready, though.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As long as there's no doo-doo in there...
I'd do yard work. Because that's the last thing I ever want to do.

Maria Zannini said...

It's usually cleaning that I'm trying to avoid. LOL!

Actually though, when it's something like writing or designing, I'm more relaxed when the area around me is clean.

Before I start a new (or big) project, I clean. It makes me feel like I'm starting fresh and unencumbered.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I hope so!!

Alex - I doubt I'll EVER stoop to doing yardwork over writing. Ugh.

Maria - I usually avoid cleaning, too. That's why it's so baffling. Haha!