Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Wednesday Reads and I'm Back!

That’s right, I’m back. Dragon Con was great, I survived the panel I was on, and now life can go back to normal.

Does that mean my reading will pick up? Hmmm… I don’t know. I do know my writing will. I got the edits back on Ghostly Interlude, so I’ll be working on that this week. Surprisingly, my editor didn’t have a lot of issues with my story. Whew!

Here’s what I read the past week:

Book #49

Dates read: August 24-September 5
Title: “Tyranny”
Year of publication: 2016
Author: Gemma Brocato
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Goddesses of Delphi #1
# of Pages: 182
Paper or plastic: Nook book
How obtained: Purchased for free at B&N
Blurb from book: Immortal librarian Clio has existed for thousands of years. Her purpose—to influence and inspire mortals. Now as one has inspired her, a battle is mounting between the Muses and a god who care little for the plight of man. A hostile takeover is imminent at Olympus Enterprises.
    History professor Jax Callahan is battling his own uncertainties. His previous employer’s refusal to heed his warnings results in a tragic loss of life. Blaming himself, he no longer believes he can make a difference.
    Tyranny will stop at nothing to appease her father and succeed in taking over Olympus and the world. To save mankind, Clio must reveal herself as a Muse to Jax, the man she’s fallen in love with. Facing the end of humanity as they know it, she must convince him to trust in the magic of what if. Because failure spells doom for everyone.
My thoughts: I liked Clio and Jax, but there was a part of the storyline that really irked me. I’ll blame it on my lack of knowledge regarding Greek mythology. If you’re into that stuff, and love romance, the storyline probably won’t irk you. And this e-book is still free for Kindle (Amazon) and Nook (B&N), if that makes a difference.

I know it’s way after the eclipse, but I wanted to share the picture I took, right about the time it was covered the most.
You can see the moon shapes through the holes of the colandar! Pretty cool, huh?

I’ll share my Dragon Con pics on Friday.

So… Did you do anything fun over the weekend?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad Dragon Con went well. How did you get picked for the panel, anyway?
Clever idea to use a colander.

JeffO said...

It looks like little bubbles. I'm still amazed that the moon can block out so much of the sun yet the day stays as bright as it does.

Glad to hear DragonCon went so well--welcome back!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - The Urban Fantasy Track put out a call on their Facebook page asking for panelists for their fan panels (they had a whole list of shows). I messaged them about The Vampire Diaries and got picked. For other tracks (and Dragon Con has a TON of them!), you would probably have to contact the person running it and tell them you're willing to help out. All track info can be found on the Dragon Con website (www.dragoncon.org).

Jeff - I really did expect it to get darker than it did. We had 90% of the sun blocked out! I was expecting something similar to how dark it gets during a storm, but nope.

Maria Zannini said...

I wish I had tried the colander trick.

The only interesting thing I've done was throw out my back last night. Oy.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I saw someone post that colander trick on Facebook. Wasn't sure it would work. Still don't now how it works, either. Haha! Hope your back is feeling better soon. Drugs help.