Friday, October 20, 2017

Vacation, Cancer Update, and Horror Flash Fiction

My vacation starts today! Yay, yay, yay!

I can’t guarantee I’ll continue to blog during the next couple of weeks, but I will if I remember and I have something to say/share—like a good picture. I mean, I’ll be in Southern California. I’m sure I’ll have lots of good pictures!

Now here’s hoping the flight doesn’t mess with my hearing. I really hate flying because of that (it HURTS when the plane descends), but it’s just too far to drive this time around.

So… Yesterday I saw my surgeon. Yes, I need more surgery. But… it doesn’t have anything to do with the cancer. He got all of that and the margins were great (yay!). The area that is giving me problems is an area that could develop into cancer. Apparently, “the book” requires a larger margin for that than the cancer and it’s not known if radiation will get/kill it all. Since the surgery isn’t as long (about a 15-minute procedure) and I won’t need to be completely out (like I was before), it made the decision to go with another surgery a lot easier to make.

Besides, Hubby pretty much said I need to do whatever it takes for me to still be around when he turns 80. J

That means I’ll have surgery after I get back from my trip (Nov 6), and radiation will be pushed into mid December provided I don’t need chemo. Now, my lymph nodes all came back clear (yay!!), but there’s another test that’s being run to determine if I have some gene that indicates I have a higher chance of reoccurrence. I find out that answer on Nov 27th. Hopefully the answer comes back NO. I really do not want chemo (but I’ll do it for Hubby if needed).

Okay, enough of that depressing stuff. Here’s something fun. I got a question from Goodreads (in the Ask an Author section), to write a two-sentence horror story. After thinking for a bit, this is what I wrote:

She walked into the garage and the spider taunted her as it sat blocking her way to the car. But after smushing the nasty arachnid, like she had done to all the others, millions more rained down upon her head in retaliation.

Was that horror enough for you? It certainly was for me! I hate spiders!!!

So… Are you having a second summer this week? I was all set for moderate temps back home only to find it’ll be close to 100! Yikes!! That is definitely NOT fall weather for Southern California.

Happy Friday!

Stacy

8 comments:

JeffO said...

Well, that sounds like good news overall, even if there is more surgery on the horizon. But never mind that for now, enjoy the heck out of your vacation! Nice job on the story. Spiders are awesome and helpful, and some are quite pretty to look at, but they do creep me out. We had frost and sub-freezing temperatures Monday and Tuesday morning; this weekend it's going to push 70 in the day and no lower than 50 or so at night--I'll take it! Have fun!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At least the surgery isn't major. Get it done and take care of everything.
Safe travels! I don't like flying either, but that would be a really long drive.

Maria Zannini said...

Well, if you have to have surgery, at least it's minimally invasive.

Enjoy that trip and forget about your troubles for a while.

The Happy Whisk said...

Glad to read that the surgery won't be major, still a lot ahead of you and I love the support your hubby gives you. Love it.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Glad to see the good news, and hope the surgery goes well. Have fun on your vacation!

And yes, spiders are creepy. :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Spiders will NEVER be pretty! Ugh!!!!! :)

Alex - I lucked out. Flight wasn't so bad and I could hear after landing! :)

Maria - Doing my best to forget about anything but this lovely vacation.

Ivy - Yeah, I lucked out in the Hubby dept. :)

Jennette - Creepy, creepy, creepy!! :)

Erin Kane Spock said...

Omgosh, yes, that is horror.
And so is that cancer. At least you know what needs to be done and are doing it.
Happy travels!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Erin - Regarding horror: I followed Stephen King's advice and wrote what would creep me out. Just wasn't sure I could do it in 2 sentences, though. Thanks!