Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Wednesday Reads and a Writing Slump

What is it about summer? I always seem to get into a writing slump during summer. Is it the vacations? Because I certainly have enough of them and more upcoming. The hot weather? Because it’s been that and humid (ugh). Whatever it is, not only my WIP is suffering, so is my blog. Heck, if it weren’t for the books I’ve read, I wouldn’t even be posting on Wednesdays. Probably.

Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #29

Dates read: August 12-16
Title: The MEG
Year of publication: 2018
Author: Steve Alten
Genre: Horror
Series: The MEG Series, Book 1
# of Pages: 279
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: On a top-secret dive into the Pacific Ocean's deepest canyon, Jonas Taylor found himself face-to-face with the largest and most ferocious predator in the history of the animal kingdom. The sole survivor of the mission, Taylor is haunted by what he's sure he saw but still can't prove exists--Carcharodon megalodon, the massive mother of the great white shark. The average prehistoric Meg weighs in at twenty tons and could tear apart a Tyrannosaurus rex in seconds.
    Written off as a crackpot suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, Taylor refuses to forget the depths that nearly cost him his life. With a Ph.D. in paleontology under his belt, Taylor spends years theorizing, lecturing, and writing about the possibility that Meg still feeds at the deepest levels of the sea. But it takes an old friend in need to get him to return to the water, and a hotshot female submarine pilot to dare him back into a high-tech miniature sub.
    Diving deeper than he ever has before, Taylor will face terror like he's never imagined, and what he finds could turn the tides bloody red until the end of time.
My thoughts: Good thing I didn’t read this for a character story. Well, unless you consider the shark a character. But the characters were a bit on the flat side. The action made up for that, though. A quick and entertaining read, only because I threw my logical side out the window first. Not happy about the semi-cliff hanger at the end, but it is the first in a series. Will I read the rest of the books? Nope. Will I watch the movie? You betcha!

Book #30

Dates read: August 17-19
Title: The Bear Who Loved Me
Year of publication: 2016
Author: Kathy Lyons
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Grizzlies Gone Wild, Book 1
# of Pages: 276
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Between singlehandedly running her bakery and raising her teenaged nephew, Becca Weitz thought she had a decent grip on “normal.” Then her nephew vanishes, and life as she’s known it changes forever. Local legends are true: bear shifters exist…and her nephew is part of their clan. As is Carl Carman, the sexy, larger-than-life man who has sworn to find her nephew—and the other young shifters who’ve gone missing.
    As the leader of his clan, Carl is surrounded by enemies. He’s learned the hard way that keeping a firm leash on his inner beast is key to survival, though his feelings for Becca test his legendary control. Then danger stalks too close, and Carl realizes he must unleash the raging, primal force within to protect everything he holds dear. But can Becca trust his grizzly side with her life—and her heart?
My thoughts: Well, apparently I don’t have any problem reading while traveling when I’ve got a good book to read. I sure zipped through this one. I bought this book at Rust City Book Con last year from the author because we were on a panel together and I wanted to try one of her books. Took me this long to finally open it up and read it. Now I want to read the rest of the series. Very enjoyable with lots of paranormal and romance goodness.

I am trying to kick myself into writing by reading my WIP from the beginning to get back into the story. Let’s just hope it works and I start writing when I get to where I stopped!

So… Does Summer do strange things to you, too? For some reason I just feel lazier in the summer. As if I weren’t lazy enough! Haha!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

JeffO said...

"Grizzlies gone wild"??? Oh, my.

I've been slumping for much of August myself, though I broke through with 2K yesterday, so I'm hoping that's over. With all the stuff going on in your life, it's understandable why your production might drop off a bit.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Yeah, it's been a pretty busy summer. But fun!! Well... except for the cleaning out the old house bit. Not fun at all.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Dean Wesley Smith calls summer "the time of the great forgetting," meaning our writing goals. A lot of people get sidetracked by vacations, kids home from school, gardening and other summer activities. But I swear, house stuff takes over your brain! At least that's my excuse. You can use it too. :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - House stuff DOES take over your brain. And when I'm not working on the house, I just want to sit back and do NOTHING. Or, maybe, read. :)

Tia said...

I am being unusually productive. I am working on the ending of one novel (a rewrite) and drafting a second novel. Plus numerous side projects, such as reviving my blog. :)

Sounds like you're just busy. That's enough to kill a little enthusiasm. I hope when you start re-reading what you have, your enthusiasm will return full-force.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Tia - Re-reading has gotten my brain back into my book. Yay! Of course, I leave for Dragon Con on Wednesday. What timing, huh? Maybe I shouldn't have bothered. :P