Monday, September 19, 2011

Television and the Emmys

I used to be a TV junkie. The Emmys was the mark of the new TV season and I looked forward to it because that meant my shows were coming back or there were new ones I couldn't wait to discover.

When I watched the Emmys, I probably knew most of the shows up for an award because I had watched them. When the VCR was developed, I was in seventh heaven. I could watch more! What I wouldn't have given for a DVR back then.

Boy, how times have changed.

Don't get me wrong. I love my DVR and it gets full – really fast. And that's because I don't watch it every night. I'm losing interest. I have my favorites and will probably watch them until the series ends (i.e. Bones, NCIS, Castle, True Blood, Dexter, to name a few), but any new shows are scrutinized. They must be ENTERTAINING before I add them to the list. I'm not going to waste my precious time watching something that is just OKAY.

Why? Because I like to write too much.

There was a time when the cable went out, I'd feel lost. I'd be upset. Not anymore. I could write and read all day long and I'd be happy. So why don't I stop cold turkey? I'm tempted, let me tell you. Then a new show comes along and I want to watch (i.e. Being Human). I will probably always watch TV. I'm too weak to ignore it.

And the Emmys? I still like to watch it. Old habits are hard to break.

7 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I don't watch much tv either. I depend on hubby to tell me whether something is worth watching, but I find even then they're not enough to hold my interest long term.

I like NCIS. The rest, I can do without.

Stacy McKitrick said...

I guess I should mention, I do watch sports on TV (as I'm currently watching Monday Night Football - Go Rams!), so I'll never do without TV. Thanks for commenting, Maria.

LD Masterson said...

I think I lost interest in the Emmy's when I started watching a lot of cable shows (TNT and USA) which are generally ignorred. I only saw a little of last night's show and it looked pretty lame.

But I've got something for you. There's an award waiting for you on my blog. Hop over and pick it up when you get a chance.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Hey, Linda! Thanks! I had already noticed before you posted here. I'm on the ball tonight, huh?

Erin Kane Spock said...

I don't think I have ever watched the Emmys. I do watch the Oscars (even though I no longer see movies that do not involve singing princesses). I love to see what people are wearing.
I just caught up on my shows. My DVR was full and my husband was going to start deleting things. I had a marathon day of The Closer and Project Runway. I still have a way to go. Not nearly as dependent on TV as I was.

DL Hammons said...

This time of year is always rough (writing-wise) because of season premieres and wanting to check out new shows. I am way more picky nowadays though! :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Erin - It's hard to get caught up on the DVR. I have over a year's worth of Grey's Anatomy to watch. I may never get to it, even though I like the show. I can't imagine spending that much time to get caught up!

DL - Yeah, I hate the new season for that very reason - I gotta check out anything that looks interesting. It's so hard to quit watching, though!

Thanks for commenting!!