Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Getting There

Editing is tough when you know you don’t have enough to hook a reader. New scenes have to be written to add suspense, which really slows down the process. Ah, but in the end, you have a stronger story. At least, that’s my hope!

Last night I finally got past the point of having to add new scenes to SARAH’S TURN (the sequel to THE UNCOMMON ONE and a book my friend has been pestering me to finish so she can read it). The beginning got revamped (pun intended) and I hope I’ve added enough to tease the reader to keep reading.

It’s been eye opening, to say the least. I harped on my poor critique partner that each scene should mean something, each scene should hook you to the next and what did I have? Interesting scenes, but nothing suspenseful. In other words – YAWN.

Well, maybe not that bad, but when my own daughter couldn’t get into the book, I knew something was wrong. All in all, it really didn’t take that much to punch it up, either. I had all the ingredients, I just needed to foreshadow a little more.

I’m psyched now thinking I’ll get the editing done on this book soon, since it was the beginning that needed all the work. And once I finish and send it off to my friend, I’m free to work on GHOSTLY LIAISON.

And I’ve also changed my mind about the next book I write. Now’s a good a time as any to wean from my vampire stories (unless I sell them, in which case – YAY!). I’m toying with another ghost theme (using a secondary character from GL), but I also have other strange ideas flowing around in my head (aliens, anyone?). I think I need a good brainstorming session with someone.

How are things going with you?

4 comments:

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Aliens, yeah! I have a couple of those. One out with beta readers, one that's been sitting on a couple editors' and agents' desks for going on two years. Next up for me is something NEW. Which is kind of scary as I haven't written anything new in over two years, either. Have fun with your new direction!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Yeah, I don't know what it is with aliens, but one has been niggling at me. We'll see. Good luck with going with something new. That's what I did with Ghostly Liaison and it was hard. And yet, I can't wait to get back to it!

Todd R Moody said...

Congrats Stacy! I actually started editing mine again too and I've got enough distance to make the cuts now. I'm feeling good about it at least and getting excited again about writing. I can't wait to read your new one!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Todd - You'll be getting Ghostly Liaison as soon as I can get it done, but at my rate, it'll be the summer! I'm glad you're working on yours again. Feels good, doesn't it?