Friday, March 16, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Working in a large office building downtown does have its perks.

I arrived at work to be informed to go back down to the second floor. Now, if I was parking in the building’s parking garage, I would have come in that way and noticed it myself, but I don’t have a parking spot in the building yet (although I am on a waiting list), so I came in from the outside on the first floor.

Not sure where I should go on the second floor, I waited for another co-worker to arrive so I could venture down with her. Well, apparently I didn’t need to know where to go. I only had to follow the Irish music and that unmistakable smell of popcorn.

I was lei’d with some green beads (mine look like mugs of green beer strung together) and directed to the popcorn, cupcakes, Irish coffee, and punch. Wow! If I had known all that was going to go on, I wouldn’t have bothered to bring my coffee to work or maybe even eat my breakfast (because I’m not one to turn away from free food, whether or not I need it!).

Even though the big green day isn’t until tomorrow, I did wear a green top, green earrings, and a green bracelet. I’m saving my shamrock socks for tomorrow, though.

I may have married an Irish name (McKitrick), but I have Irish in my blood from my parents (my father’s mother and my mother’s mother’s father were born there), the Quigley and Stuart families.

So – do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Normally, all I do is wear green (and yes, I’ve been known to pinch those who do not wear the color on the big green day – even my kids!). I’m not a green beer drinker (heck, I’m not a beer drinker!) and frequenting a bar ain’t my thing, either. Television and movies (and books, too, I suppose) always make that look like fun, when in fact it’s just loud!

Whether or not you celebrate, I hope you do wear green! It’s the one day we’re all Irish.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!


6 comments:

B.E. Sanderson said...

I bought a corned beef to make tomorrow. Other than that, I don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Whatever Irish I have in me is a wee piddlin' thing, but my daughter has Corrigan blood running through her, so we have to do something. =o)

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Saint Paddy's Day :-)

Maria Zannini said...

That sounds like a pretty good day.

Happy St. Paddy's Day to you!

Stacy McKitrick said...

B.E. - Corned beef sounds good. Been ages since I've had that. Enjoy it!

Whisk - Same to you!!

Maria - Yeah, it was a good day. Even the company had a little party at 4:30 - beer, wine, and soda. I stuck with the soda, but I don't believe I've ever worked any place that served alcohol. Pretty cool!

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, Stacy. I completely agree with Maria. It sounds like it was a heck of a day.
Take care.

-Jimmy

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jimmy - Yeah, it certainly helped in my transition to the new work environment. Thanks for stopping by!