Friday, March 30, 2012

Pictures

I think pictures make a blog more interesting. Guess that says a lot about my blog, though, huh? **looking around at the lack of pictures** Still, it’s what I believe. I love photos! I just wish I could remember to take my camera with me more often. Or have more time to scan those photos I want to share.

Yeah, time. When you have a full-time paying job and want to write during your so-called “free” time, well, you writers know how it is anyway!

But I remembered to take my camera to work Thursday. I saw it sitting on the table at home Wednesday night and promptly stuck it in my purse because I KNEW I wouldn’t remember it in the morning. I hadn’t remembered it the past few mornings, so I had some logic going there! And sure enough, I would have forgotten the darn thing if I hadn’t done what I did.

So, anyway…on with the pictures. This one is of my office (yeah, I still can't wrap my head around that!). I guess it's a good thing I took this picture before I held the job for a year, because I'm sure it will look messier as the months go by. Right now it looks pretty impressive (well, I think so anyway).

My windows are dirty (from the outside – I'm on the fifth floor), so my outside shots are kind of blurry, but this is the view from my office. That is Main Street directly below and Third Street off to the left.

Isn't this red building the neatest thing? It's been there awhile, too (at least the date above it says so).

Here's a closer shot. It's amazing how elaborate they were when it came to buildings back then. Sort of like art work for the city, huh?

I believe that tall building is the Kettering Tower, but not 100% positive. Kettering Tower is the tallest building in Dayton (and it used to be Mead Headquarters).

If you click on the photos, they should enlarge (I say should, because they have in the past, so watch it go and screw with me this time).

I know – it's not much. But it filled a blog (ha ha ha ha ha!).

Hope you have a good Friday and a wonderful weekend!


8 comments:

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I <3 this post! I used to work in the building where you are, on the 7th floor! I was a contractor for Mead, and they leased some space in that building. My office was not nearly as nice as yours, and I shared it, but it was with a friend so all was good. :) Mead HQ was in the 2nd tallest building in Dayton, the ivory tower (LOL) across the street from Kettering Tower. I also worked there for a while, on the 25th floor.

The facade on that very cool, red building was moved from another downtown building, and I can't remember where. I have a wonderful book which contains about 100 years worth of Dayton Daily News photos. This is going to drive me nuts until I can get home to look it up!

We're not allowed to take pictures at my workplace. Someone might see the aliens. This was very cool - thanks for sharing!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Oh, and the water-filled street on my book cover is the street you're looking down on, 99 years ago. :D

The Happy Whisk said...

Great to see these photos.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I was kind of hoping I'd see evidence of the flood, but I don't see anything. Darn!

Whisk - Glad you enjoyed them.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I told you this would drive me nuts... that facade is from the Cooper Building, which used to be at 2nd and Main, where 5/3 bank is now. It was torn down in the 80s to build the bank - so cool that the facade was saved!

I don't know if they're still there, but when I worked downtown, there used to be bright blue stickers on some of the streetlight poles that showed the 1913 flood level - about 12 feet! I remember one being by the Victoria Theater, so check if you're up that way.

Stacy McKitrick said...

5/3 Bank is now at 3rd and Main (unless there are two branches, which is possible, I guess). I'll have to look for those blue stickers, though. Thanks Jennette!

DL Hammons said...

I'm so jealous! I wish I had an office with a window! :(

Stacy McKitrick said...

DL - Yeah, it's a first for me, that's for sure! NEVER would have dreamed it when I accepted the job, though. I expected to be in one of the cubicles. But I ain't complainin'!