Friday, January 18, 2013

Another Rant on Technology

Well, I've been bad! Last night I forgot to write today's blog. Guess I got so caught up in watching the rest of Season 4 of Torchwood (which was good, by the way) and editing (while I'm getting closer to the end, I'm also at the point where more work is needed since the ending is changing), and then talking to my hubby (he had to go to KY on business – without me this time), that it completely slipped my mind!

Not that what I have today is all that interesting. Just a rant. And is it any surprise it has to do with technology? Probably not!

I hate those self-check lines at the store. No, I mean really HATE. So much so, I will purposely wait in a line of 10 people for a regular register than wait in a line of 2 for one of those self-checkouts. I avoid them like the plague.

But then there comes a time where I don't have any choice. Like at Kroger at 6:30 in the morning, when they don't have any regular registers open. Yes, I should be thankful the store is open that early (although if it wasn't I could have easily waited). Instead, I inwardly groaned.

I didn't have much (thank goodness), but it still took longer than it should have. I started with the easy stuff first. An apple pie and a box of cookies (my husband wanted these to take down to KY as gifts – yes he likes to wait until the last minute to tell me these things). Then I got to the items I knew would cause me problems. Why? Because they don't weigh anything.

And that's the problem with those stupid self-check lines.

Don't you think the computer should know that a gift card doesn't weigh anything and if you stick it in the bag, as it says, there's no way in HELL it will register? Yet, the computer will keep telling you to put the item in the bag and won't let you scan the next one until you do. I had four of these suckers!

And it's not just gift cards. I've had the same thing happen when I've bought tweezers, or chapstick, or anything that is small and lightweight. Anything that won't hit the bottom of that plastic bag. And what if I didn't want to use their bag? What if I brought my own?

I know, I'm probably the only one around here who complains about technology. And for the most part, I guess I do like things simple, but not at the expense of making me feel miserable. And that's what those self-check lines do to me. Every. Time.

So, what kind of technology stuff sets you off?

 

16 comments:

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I love technology when it means less waiting in line! But yes, self checkout kind of defeats its own purpose when it fails and you have to wait for help from the attendant. Right now I'm trying to open a zip file on my computer at work and it's taking For. Ev. Er. I'm not amused...

Maria Zannini said...

There should be a button on the screen to 'skip bagging' for items that you don't want to put into a bag.

The best self-checkout lane I've ever used was at Costco. Their scanners are really sensitive and one swipe is all it takes. I always take the self-checkout there if I can.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I know the feeling!

Maria - It might have had a button like that, but there was SO MUCH on that screen, finding anything was frustrating!

DL Hammons said...

None of the stores in these parts have those self-checkout stations. Now I'm thinking thats a good thing! :)

Have a great weekend!

Stacy McKitrick said...

DL - That's funny you should say that, because my husband loves them! I figured it was a man-thing. Maybe not. He just loves technology, I suppose.

LD Masterson said...

Got to admit, I opt for the real person cashier line if I have the option but when faced with your problem it sometimes works to lightly tap through the bottom of the bag so the sensor thinks you put something into it.

Stacy McKitrick said...

LD - Actually, I tried that. But then, I also tap my husband's iPhone and can't get it to respond, either! I think machines hate me.

Unknown said...

I'm always annoyed when stores don't have self-check lines. The newer ones don't have so much of the weight issue (also, I tend not to buy things that weight that little) and I've found with things that light, you can usually tap the weight sensor and it'll register it.

And I don't have to wait behind grandma's with ten coupons and a checkbook, when I have so little to check out. And I don't have to talk to anyone. Kind of anti-social sometimes, I know.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Laura - You sound like my husband! That's why he likes those self-check lines, too!

Sandra Cox said...

Yeah, I'll wait for a real person every time.

Michael Seese said...

Don't get me started about buying booze at one of those things.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Sandra - Yay! We need to band together!

Michael - Don't they just ask for your ID? I had to do that when I purchased $100 of gift cards on a credit card. They're a time waster then, for sure!

Anonymous said...

I like the self-checkout line. Less people to deal with. And I always take my own bag so I don't have to worry about the plastic not registering. There's a button before you start scanning that you push for your own bags.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Of course you do. You are your father's daughter!! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Cell phones bug me. Especially when frickwads bring them into the movie houses and cafes. Then proceed to have lengthy and loud conversations.

Not a fan.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - I hate the cell phones in theatres. They practically blind me in the dark room! Very annoying.