Friday, January 11, 2013

How 1 Hour Turned into 6

Interesting day I had yesterday. I went in for an 8:30 a.m. doctor appointment, thinking it would last thirty minutes, tops, and I'd come home with a mammogram appointment. Instead, I don't make it home until 2:00 p.m. and I come home with two appointments (neither one for a mammogram).

So what took so long? My mammogram. When I was making that appointment, I was told it was a light day and asked if I wanted to wait an hour.

Sure, I thought. What's an hour? It would give me a chance to use my Nook (see, I'm always prepared and have some kind of book in my purse). And boy, did I ever!

Seems, one mammogram turned into another, which turned into an ultrasound. At noon, I could wait around for the technicians to come back from lunch, or go somewhere and eat (which, by the way, I never did have breakfast, thinking I would just have it late) and come back at 1:00 p.m.

So I went to lunch (yeah, I know, no-brainer!). I found the dining hall in the basement and only paid $3.95 for lunch (pork chop, mashed potatoes, soup, and a Diet Coke). Ain't the military great? Some other place I might have paid that much for the soda alone (okay, maybe the soup).

While I still have to go back and get my cholesterol checked, and some other ultrasound (checkup from last year's surgery), at least yesterday's tests came back okay. Yeah, I have cysts (in fact, one doctor called me "Cyst City"), but nothing malignant (thank God!!).

I go through this on a regular basis, unfortunately (have been since 1975). And while I'd love to think it will always be the case, it just might not, so I always go to the doctor when I find a new lump.

I certainly hope if you ever find one, you do the same. Peace of mind beats wondering all the time!

And did you know they no longer use film for those x-rays? I did not know that. Too bad the machines didn't change, though. OUCH!!! The ultrasound was soooo much nicer!

Here's to a good weekend. We'll be spending part of it with our friend, since we postponed our New Year's Eve party (due to bad weather). Might not be ringing in the New Year, but we'll be eating well and having fun!
Oh – and how did my Nook reading go? Not too bad, actually. It was easier to read while eating, I'll give it that!


Maria Zannini said...

This happened to me last year for x-rays.

To add insult to injury my insurance wouldn't pay the full amount because it was at a hospital. If I had gone to a walk-in clinic like I wanted, it would've been free.

But noooo, the doc assured me he'd get the results faster if I used 'his' hospital. Jerk. I never went back to him.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - This is when I'm so thankful my husband stuck it out with the Army and retired (and also why we retired near a large military base). I've never had any problems with getting medical treatment or having to pay (except for the annual fees). Sure, I'm stuck with whatever doctor they give me, but hey, I'm not complaining!

DL Hammons said...

My wife had a similar experience just before Christmas and unfortunately I was with her. We were supposed to be Christmas shopping instead! :(

Isis Rushdan said...

Thank goodness that you don't have anything to worry about.

I was anti-Kindle/Nook for the longest, but it does make reading easier, especially while traveling.

Stacy McKitrick said...

DL - I hope you had a book with you! My husband carries around his tablet wherever he goes now. I can't believe how much into reading his is. Makes me happy!

Isis - I would hate to have to rely on the Nook while on a plane. They make you shut those things off when I want to be distracted THE MOST! It's still not my preferred method of reading.

LD Masterson said...

Now if you'd been at the civilian hospital, you might have run into Kim getting x-rays from a fall on the ice yesterday. (Nothing broken.)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - There was still ice around??? It was so warm yesterday and today, I thought the only ice left was from the shoveled piles. Maybe she should have her eyes checked, huh??? :) Glad she's okay, though. Do you think she'll ever come back to the WOWA meetings?

The Happy Whisk said...

My goodness, what a post. I hope the food was at least tasty.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - The food wasn't too bad, really. I've had worse at higher prices!

Michael Seese said...

I'm glad to hear they found no serious medical issues.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Michael. I am too!!!

Sandra Cox said...

Glad you're through it.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Sandra. And thanks for stopping by!