Monday, January 21, 2013

To Smart Phone or Not To Smart Phone

Sometimes I just don't understand my husband. Okay, so maybe it's most of the time, but still. He seems to think I should own a smart phone.

Now, if it would save us money, I probably wouldn't have an issue with it. Well, I would have an issue with it because those touch screens do not like me (apparently my fingers are too cold most of the time – which is a problem I also have with my Nook). He gets mad at me when he wants me to do something on his phone, yet it's his stupid phone that won't work with me. Do I want that kind of frustration all the time? I don't think so.

Besides, I'm home all day, on my laptop with my e-mail account open. Tell me why I should go the extra expense.

He's thinking it's not an extra expense, though. That's because he was able to get his company to pay for his phone (they wanted access to him and that was his price). I kind of like the fact we're saving money on the phone and see no reason to upgrade.

However, I told him I would probably get one (but not an iPhone; probably one of those smart phones that has a real keyboard) if I ever got another job and needed access to my e-mails. Frankly, I hope it never comes to that.

And no, this is not just a phone issue. He was like this before I got my laptop, too.

He kept saying I needed one. I hadn't discovered my love of writing at the time, and rarely used the computer, so I saw no sense in getting one. Then the writing bug hit and I decided that maybe I could write if I had my own laptop. Man, he was all over that. You'd think he won the lottery!

But don't you think it's strange he WANTS to spend money? I know, you think it's strange I DON'T!! J

*****

Now on to sports!

Football – I'm finished! Every team I rooted for lost. I refuse to watch a Super Bowl game with the two teams I despise the MOST! Not even for the commercials. I'm sure it'll be on our TV, though. My husband probably can't NOT watch it!

Hockey – Yay! It's back! And the Penguins have won their first two games. They won't be playing in Columbus this year (they were before the lockout), and I can't really afford to go there to see them play, but hopefully I'll see them on TV a lot. If not, there's always cbssports.com! Don't you just love the Internet? I do!

 

9 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Smart phones are good if you travel or work long hours. My very favorite app is the map. I do a lot of garage sales so that comes in handy if I'm in a strange area.

Stacy McKitrick said...

I agree, Maria. When you aren't near a computer, they can be very handy.

DL Hammons said...

I was indifferent about Smart phones until my wife got me one for Christmas a few years back. Now I don't know what I would do without it. At home or not, they can be make you more productive! :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

DL - I would think they'd be a time sucker. But then, so is the Internet! I really need to get to work! :)

LD Masterson said...

I'm the only one in the extended family (including kids and grandkids)that doesn't carry a smartphone. This seems to make them all crazy. I'm not sure why.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - Glad I'm not the ONLY one who makes people crazy! :)

Actually, I don't even think they should be called phones anymore. Who talks on them? They're more like mini-computers.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I didn't want a smartphone for a long time, and I'm a techie! Like you said, I didn't need one, and we didn't want the extra expense. Then I got a job at a place where they block all blogs on the computers, and I like to read blogs during short breaks or while I'm waiting for a slow process on the computer, so now my phone is a godsend. It's handy for when you're out and about and want to look up reviews before you buy something, or for the maps.

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm not a big cell user. We have one phone that we share and most of the time it is shut off.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - One phone. I can almost handle that!!