Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What I Finished Reading Since Last Wednesday


A new year with new reading goals. But the books listed here helped with last year's goals. On Friday, I will be posting those books I gave 5 stars on Goodreads in 2012. Hope you come back for that. Anyway, here are the books I finished reading since last Wednesday:

Dec 27: "Carnal Sin" by Allison Brennan. I do like her books, regardless of the genre. This book is the second in a series of supernatural thrillers. I read the first one back in Jan 2011 and liked it. Took me awhile to get to the second book, though. Now I can't find any others, so I wonder if the series will be finished or not. I hope it does. Blurb: Santa Louisa is still reeling from the lethal rampage of the demon Envy, one of the Seven Deadly Sins released from Hell by black magic. The fiendish entity was finally trapped, but when more bodies bearing satanic marks surface in Los Angeles, demon hunter Moira O'Donnell fears that the terror has only just begun. Racing to L.A., Moira discovers that the City of Angels is fast becoming the demon Lust's decadent playground. She suspects that another coven is at work, aided indirectly by her diabolical mother, the powerful witch Fiona. But when Moira's unwanted psychic powers intensify, she fears her connection to the underworld is putting everyone she cares about in grave danger. As supernatural war erupts, Moira and smoldering, seductive Rafe Cooper are caught in the crossfire. Cornered by mortal and unearthly enemies, they must master all their own powers to survive – and to understand if the intensely passionate feelings that bind them are Lust's demon magic or true desire. Lots of action made it hard to put the book down. I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads. I hope I haven't seen the end of Moira and Rafe.

Dec 31: "Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet" by DaryndaJones. This book is the fourth in a series and is probably considered urban fantasy vs. paranormal romance (since it is written in first person and doesn't necessarily have HEA at the end of each book). And like the others, I loved it! Charley Davidson is a hoot. Blurb: Sometimes being the grim reaper really is, well, grim. And since Charley's last case went so awry, she has taken a couple of months off to wallow in the wonders of self-pity. But when a woman shows up on her doorstep convinced someone is trying to kill her, Charley has to force herself to rise above…or at least get dressed, it becomes clear something is amiss when everyone the woman knows swears she's insane. But the more they refute the woman's story, the more Charley believes it. In the meantime, the sexy, sultry son of Satin, Reyes Farrow, is out of prison and out of Charley's life, as per her wishes and several perfectly timed death threats. But his absence has put a serious crimp in her sex life. While there are other things to consider, like the fact that the city of Albuquerque has been taken hostage by an arsonist, Charley is having a difficult time staying away. Especially when it looks like Reyes may be involved. Just when life was returning to normal, Charley s thrust back into the world of crime, punishment, and the devil in blue jeans in this hilarious fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling series. Got the book for Christmas (requested) and read it as soon as possible (quickly, too). This is one great series. I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads.

I reached 86 books read for the year, 6 over my goal. Well, actually 31 over my original goal of 55, but since I lost my job in June, I reached that goal by September, so I adjusted it. For 2013, I made my goal 90. That's over 7 books a month. I think it's doable. We'll see!
 
Oh, and I got a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight for Christmas. Still have to get used to reading on that thing, but it works for those novellas that only come as an e-book, so maybe I'll wean myself onto it. I still prefer paper, though.

 

5 comments:

B.E. Sanderson said...

I think Allison had intended for there to be one book for each of the 7 deadly sins, but her publisher declined the rest after the second book. =o( Here's hoping she finds a home for the others someday.

Good job on the 86 books. I did the 90 I set for 2012, but this year looks too busy to read that many, so I went for 50. Good luck to us both. =o)

Stacy McKitrick said...

B.E. - Yeah, I wasn't sure about the 90, either, but heck, won't know unless I try. Who's gonna punish me if I don't reach it? Now I just need to set the same kind of lofty goals for my writing! :)

Sarah Ahiers said...

I'm still really impresed by how many books you can fit in in a week. Crazy!
Though i guess i don't actually chart how many i read a week, just in a year...

Stacy McKitrick said...

Sarah - I'm home all day and can't seem to write all the time, so I read during my breaks. Even when I had a paying job, I got a book read in a week. If I didn't write, I can't imagine how many I'd read. It would be a lot. My daughter read 150 last year!

Missed Periods said...

I am such a slow reader! I have no doubt you'll reach your 2013 goal.