Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wednesday Reads

When I travel I get lots of time to read - you know, during the time I’m NOT driving. Haha! Here’s what I read during the last week:

Oct 12: “One Lucky Vampire” by Lynsay Sands. This is the 19th book in the Argeneau Vampire series, a paranormal romance. Blurb on book: When Nicole Phillips agreed to hire a housekeeper, she pictured someone a little frumpy and almost certainly female. Instead, she gets gorgeous, unmistakably male Jake Colson. The man is proving indispensable in the kitchen--and everywhere else. Except Jake might not be a mortal man at all. Who wouldn’t want to be a tall, dark, powerful vampire? Jake, for one. He’s barely had time to adjust to his new state before he’s roped into a family favor. Still, secretly playing bodyguard to sweet, sexy Nicole is turning out to be the wildest ride of his life. First, he’ll put a stop to whoever’s targeting her. Then he’ll prove that this kind of love, and luck, happens only once in an eternity. I love this series and I’m not getting tired of it, even with this many books. They are just so much fun to read. I gave this 5 stars on Goodreads.  

Oct 15: “Wishing for a Highlander” by Jessi Gage. This is a historical-ish romance with some paranormal (time travel) stuff thrown in. Blurb from Goodreads: While examining Andrew Carnegie’s lucky rosewood box, single-and-pregnant museum worker Melanie makes a tongue in cheek wish on the artifact--for a Highland warrior to help her forget about her cheating ex. Suddenly transported to the middle of a clan skirmish in sixteenth-century Scotland, she realizes she should have been a tad more specific. Darcy, laird in waiting, should be the most eligible bachelor in Ackergill, but a cruel prank played on him in his teenage years has led him to believe he is too large under his kilt to ever join with a woman. He has committed himself to a life of bachelorhood, running his deceased father's windmills and keeping up the family manor house...alone. Darcy's uncle, Laird Steafan welcomes the strangely dressed woman into his clan, immediately marrying her to Darcy in hopes of an heir. But when Steafan learns of her magic box and brands her a witch, Darcy must do what any good husband would--protect his wife, even if it means forsaking his clan. I fell into this book quickly and even when I was forced to put it down, the story resonated, making me itching to get back to it! That alone made it worthy of the 5 stars I gave it on Goodreads. I’ll definitely look for more books by this author.

Here are the latest links to Lyrical Press’s Celebrate Paranormal Month:
October 15: http://lyricalpress.com/2013/10/15/celebrate-paranormal-month-with-mary-abshires/
October 16: (will update when I get the link)

Today we’re in San Antonio (got in last night). Tomorrow we’ll do the Alamo and River Walk with my daughter (she arrives late tonight). Haven’t quite figured out what we’ll do today. I’ll find something, though!

Happy reading!

Stacy

 


2 comments:

JeffO said...

Keep enjoying!

Stacy McKitrick said...

I'm trying, Jeff. Hard to do when it rains alllll day! But that's what movie theatres are for, right?