Monday, February 10, 2014

I’m On a Library Event


This Thursday I’ll be at the Wilmington-Stroop branch of the Dayton Metro Library with Jennette Marie Powell, Jessica Lemmon, AthenaGrayson, CD Hersh, and Catherine Castle. We’ll talk about romance writing (and show off our books!). Probably the best part…they’re serving CHOCOLATE! Oh yeah.

I’ll take my camera, but since my husband is teaching that night he won’t be there to take any pictures. We’ll see what kind of crowd we get and if I know anyone I can trust my camera with!

You know I’m watching the Olympics. I turn it on when I get up in the morning and watch some of the events live. I discovered something strange, though. Take the figure skating. The live event was announced by one crew featuring Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, but when it was repeated in the evening, it was announced by a totally different crew featuring Scott Hamilton. Why? My husband thinks Tara and Johnny are in training. I think it’s just strange. That’s spending an awful lot of money to TRAIN someone (they could do that in this country). What do you think?

I was really hoping to say “I’m finished!” with my first draft by now, but, I swear, sometimes stories just don’t want to end. I mean, the couple’s story has ended, but I have these subplots that need to be wrapped up and I’m trying to do it in an entertaining way. I’ve already tried it a couple of ways, but it’s not working. I’ll give it one last try and then give the story to my daughter to read. She’ll tell me if it works or if it fell flat. Heck, maybe she’ll have a better idea!

I find it funny that this is happening to me now. Just last week Lori Foster posted a status on Facebook that said she was having problems with her ending and wished she could just say “And they lived happily ever after.” I understand her pain now!
 
On Sunday I saw Vampire Academy with my daughter. It stuck to the story fairly well, but lacked the chemistry and emotion of the book. Did you go to the movies this weekend? What did you go see? 

Stacy

8 comments:

JeffO said...

Have a great time at your talk!

Your husband is probably right. Hamilton has been the top figure skating guy for years, now, maybe they figure he's more recognizable and popular and authoritative than Lipinski/Weir. As for expensive, heh, with the money NBC has sunk into the Olympics, I doubt having two crews calling the same thing is going to make much difference.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Re my talk, I hope it is fun. If the weather doesn't cooperate, most people will probably stay home and watch the Olympics! :)

Maria Zannini said...

I think we're going to try and see Monuments Men. I'm an art history buff. :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I wanted to see Monuments Men, too, but it hasn't gotten such great reviews (of course, neither did Vampire Academy). I might wait until it shows up on cable.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Interesting about the Olympics. I hadn't noticed because I just kind of have it on in the background during the day.

That library event sounds FUN. Wish I could go!

The Happy Whisk said...

Here's hoping you find your ending soon and chocolate? Yummy.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I think endings are the hardest part to write! And yay for the library! I shared on Facebook, but totally forgot my blog. Doh!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennifer - I did the library event last year and it was fun. I thought I'd be nervous, but strangely, I wasn't.

Ivy - Yeah, I really need to get back to my ending. But the Olympics have hooked me right now!

Jennette - I've never had this much problem with an ending before. Guess there's a first for everything, huh? See YOU on Thursday!!! :)