Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Wednesday Reads and RT Booklovers Convention

I have more pictures of Dragon Con, but I think I’ll save those for Friday. J

When you’re traveling, or standing in line for hours, you can get some reading done. Here’s what I read the past week:

August 31: “Charming the Professor” by Donna MacMeans, Book 1 in the Charm Gates Time-Travel series, a time-travel romance at 196 pages. Blurb from book: The Charm Gates have stood at The Court of Two Sisters for more than a century with no one guessing the secret they hold. A jealous vindictive queen and a blackmailed alchemist have encased French “charm teacher” Madeline Charlebois’s essence inside, until a grieving professor touches the gates during a storm and Madeline tumbles out, not in her own 19th century Spain, but in 21st century New Orleans. Quantum physics professor Grant Stewart has mourned his wife’s death for the last three years. He must move on for his young daughter’s sake, the child who delights in terrorizing babysitters. Grant needs adequate childcare to pursue tenure at Tulane. What he doesn’t need is a French beauty believing nonsense like time-travel and voodoo, and whose very being is melting his heart. Maddie may be without resources but she’s good at making new friends, even if they are on the quirky side. She believes Professor Stewart can return her to her own time, but first she must earn his trust to win his cooperation. Babysitting his daughter gives her both proximity and love for the child. Will Grant be the key to returning her home? Or will she, in turn, unlock his frozen heart? All they need is time and maybe a little voodoo… This was such a fun read. It had been awhile since I was able to read non-stop for hours (I can do that as a passenger in a car) and so glad I didn’t have to put the book down. But if my eyesight never recovers, I’ll blame it on the book. Haha!

September 3: “An Accidental Gentleman” by M.Q. Barber, Book 2 in the Gentleman series, an erotica at 166 pages. Blurb from book: Kit Runyon isn’t looking for a man to keep—she’s happy with the occasional one-night stand and no strings. Making sure her family’s electronics repair shop is profitable enough to support three generations is her main focus. But when Brian Hendricks walks into the store, one look, one word, and she knows he’s not wired like any man she’s ever met before… Brian’s attracted to Kit’s strength and no-nonsense attitude, but he’s tired of the one-and-done dating scene. He’s ready to settle down with the right woman, even if that means he’ll have to play things slow and stay out of her bed to show her there’s more to love than just mind-blowing sex. But at this rate he’s liable to short all the circuits… There could be some that would call this a contemporary romance, but it really is more about their relationship and how sex is treated that I think it makes it more of an erotica. Which is kind of funny because there aren’t all that many sex scenes. But whoo! The stuff that’s there is quite steamy. I really enjoyed reading about Brian and Kit (Katherine), and even seeing Rob and Nora (from book 1) again.

I might have had a third book to report, but the Tennessee hills started getting to my stomach. Lots of twisting and turning and construction. Let’s not forget the construction.

While driving back from Atlanta (and Dragon Con) I remembered registration opened for the RT Booklovers Convention (it will be in Atlanta, May 2-7). Thank goodness for my hot spot! Got registered and got a room, but there was a wait list for the indie book signing, so I signed up for e-book only. I figured I don’t sell many books there anyway, so I’ll just have some postcards made up of each book (cover on front, blurb and QR code on back) and sign those. Plus I’ll probably still have plenty of magnets & buttons left to hand out. Unless they all go during RomCon. Heck, you never know!

So… Whatcha been up to? Read any good books?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

3 comments:

JeffO said...

Looking forward to seeing more pictures from the con. And I have trouble reading in the car, too. The Catbird drove half the way to college last week, so I tried to read. Lasted maybe five pages.

Spent most of last night setting up the replacement for my (formerly) trusty PC, which gave up the ghost for good recently. This involved serous excavation on half of my desk (and thus provides a bit of extra motivation to finish the job). Enjoy the weeke!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I'm okay with reading in the car as long as the road is relatively straight and not so bumpy. I-75 in Tennessee isn't quite like that in the summer. :)

Maria Zannini said...

I can't read in the car. I hate even reading the GPS display.