Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's Almost Here and I'm Not Ready

I don’t necessarily think Christmas starts early. If I had paid any attention to the signs, I would be ready for the big day. But no, the darn Holiday has snuck up on me – again.

When it was October and the catalogs poured into the mail box, I thought, “I have plenty of time, no need to rush.” Then when Halloween and Thanksgiving came and went, I still thought I had plenty of time. Boy, was I fooling myself or what?

I finally got the tree decorated yesterday. YESTERDAY! Normally, it’s done the first weekend of December. Now granted, I was on vacation and away from home then, so I probably should have done it Thanksgiving weekend, but I didn’t. I thought I’d be able to do it when I got home. HA! I really did fool myself!

At least I’m closer to being ready for Christmas. I got the California package shipped yesterday (and luckily will arrive BEFORE the 25th). I also got the Christmas Cards out around the same time I did last year, so I didn’t get any worse in that respect. But this Christmas is starting to look a lot like the one in 2004.

That was the year we went to Hawaii & Santa Barbara and was gone for nearly two weeks – the first two weeks of December. Hey – we got married in December, so that’s when we celebrate our anniversary & 2004 was our 25th. Anyway, we got back home from that vacation to SNOW, and lots of it. So much so, roads and businesses (the mall – shock!) were closed. I had nightmares that Christmas came and the tree was bare – no presents. I did most of my shopping in one day at WalMart (about the only thing I could easily get to and was open), vowing never to go through that again. While it’s not that bad this year (I have some presents purchased already, whew, and it hasn’t snowed - yet), it’s close. Why do I do this to myself? Maybe I better go re-read my post on Procrastination.

My goal is to be finished with my shopping by this weekend. Will it happen? I sure hope so, because next I’ll have to find the time to wrap (and I must leave myself plenty of time to procrastinate – ha ha). I guess it’s a good thing I have the 24th off.

I can see how hard it is to write this time of year. I’m getting withdrawals – I haven’t been able to write much since we got back home. I have been working on my query for Book 1, but that doesn’t really count. I want to write Book 2. It’s itching to come out. I keep telling myself if I get everything done before the 24th, I can spend that day writing. I sure hope I listen.

And before I go, I just want to say WELCOME to my two followers. I think it’s so cool that people are interested in ME.

No comments: