Saturday, February 27, 2010

Practice Makes Better

I think I’m getting better at editing. Know why I say that? Because I’m recognizing my crap when I see it!

I thought I would breeze through this last edit (since it’s like my, what, thirtieth?), but that’s not the case. When I’m stuck fixing a scene, I realize that maybe it needs to go. So when I hit those spots, I stop and take a break, so I can attack it with a fresh head.

I’d love to be done, but not at the expense of my novel. I want it to be good, not just okay. And once I’m done with this round of edits, I plan on submitting it (chapter by chapter, or course) to a critique group I joined. I’d start submitting now, except I don’t have time to reciprocate and I want to have time to do that.

Writing is hard. Harder than I ever thought. But I don’t care. I’ve never loved anything more (people & animals, yes; things, no). Now, if I can only win the lottery, then I can quit my job and write all day. Yeah – that’s a dream I’d like to come true!

No comments: