Thursday, April 7, 2011

Argh!

I sort of know what I want my next book to be about (I won't plot it out, because I just can't.). I sort of know how it should start. The only problem is getting it to start with a hook.

So now I'm wondering if I started the book in the right place. Or maybe I don't know how it should start. It wouldn't be the first time I've started a book wrong.

Beginnings are a pain in the *ss! Books 2 & 3 spoiled me, because I knew exactly how I wanted/needed them to start. I re-wrote the beginning of Book 1 more times than I can remember. It's starting to look like Book 4 will be the same.

So you writer folks out there – how difficult is it for you to start your story? Do you get lucky all the time, or only sometimes? I do know that when it's right, I'll know it (it's when it stops niggling at me). I guess I'll just have to keep at it until the niggling feeling goes away. I just hope that happens soon. I want to get on with the story!

4 comments:

Todd R Moody said...

I don't have enough experience with this to give a good answer. I know I have changed the beginning of my 1st one at least 6 times, and will have at least one more.(Based on your suggestion =))
My second story moves a lot slower, I'm not sure if the start will stay as the start or not, but It kind of starts at the beginning which is usually a good place to start something. I'm sorry it's not going smoothly Stacy, I hope you figure it out soon!

Stacy McKitrick said...

I did have a minor breakthrough tonight and got over 700 words written. I only had to go back a little bit in the story. Hopefully it works. I'll sleep on it and see how well it holds up.

Thanks for taking the time to visit!

Linda Leszczuk said...

Oh heck, starting is the easy part for me. I've got more beginnings laying around that I've never finished. It's the rest of the story I have trouble with.

Mary Beth Engle said...

It's really kind of half and half for me. I've done a couple where the beginning came through with no problem and ended up with only minor changes with edits. Then I have a few like book 3 that I'm working on now where I've rewritten the beginning at least 3 times even though I'm 60,000+ words into the book. It drives me crazy when that happens, but if I'm not happy with the first chapter then no matter how far I get in the story I'm never able to actually finish it.