Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wednesday Reads and Other Stuff

Weather is starting to get warmer. The blossoming pear trees are blossoming (must get pictures!!). I think spring has finally arrived. Oh wait. We have a Dragons game to go to on Saturday night. Do you see that? NIGHT. High? 50! Which means we won’t be feeling anything close to that. Figures (grumble, grumble).

Now on to what I’ve read in the past week:

Apr 10: “Kiss of the Goblin Prince” by Shona Husk. This is the second book in the Shadowland series, a paranormal romance. Blurb on back: He is like a prince in a fairy tale: tall, outrageously handsome, and way too dark for her own good. Amanda has been hurt before, though. And with her daughter’s illness, the last thing she needs right now is a man. But the power of Dai King is hard to resist. And when he threads his hands through her hair and pulls her in for a kiss, there is no denying it feels achingly right. After being trapped in the Shadowlands for centuries with the goblin horde a constant threat, Dai revels in his newfound freedom back in the human realm. But even with the centuries of magic he’s accumulated, he still doesn’t know how to heal Amanda’s daughter--and it breaks his heart. Yet for the woman he loves, he’d risk anything…including a return to the Shadowlands. I did not read the first book in this series first (my bad), but luckily, it wasn’t required. Well, not completely. Strange thing is, I have the first book, so I read it next, just to see if I wasn’t far off on my assessment and I wasn’t. Not totally. If you plan on reading this series, it would benefit you to read them in order. I wished I had (some things would have made more sense at the time). Anyway, I enjoyed the story and the ending (although I believe there is a third book in the series) didn’t leave me wanting (yay), so I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads.

Apr 13: “The Goblin King” by Shona Husk. This is the first book in the Shadowland series, a paranormal romance. Blurb on back: Once upon a time… A man was cursed to the Shadowlands, his heart replaced with a cold lump of gold. In legends, he became known as The Goblin King. For a favored few he will grant a wish. Yet, desperately clinging to his waning human soul, his one own desire remains unfulfilled: A willing Queen. But who would consent to move from the modern-day world into the realm of nightmares? No matter how intoxicating his touch, no matter how deep his valor, loving him is dangerous. And the one woman who might dare to try could also destroy him forever. I’m glad I went back and read this book. I enjoyed it, even though it was slow at parts, even toward the end. Don’t expect a fast-paced book, but the ending was satisfying and you really have no idea another one is in the works, which is the way I like my series. If you like paranormal but are tired of vampires and shifters, this series will be a nice change. I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads.

J J J

My Sunny Vampire is still with my editor (hoping she approves of my fixes!), so I’m still free to work on other stuff. Revisions to Book 5 are going well (trying to get a chapter a day done) and writing Book 6 is a blast so far. Let’s hope I can keep it up AND continue to read. Because I can’t give that up.

Happy Reading!

 

Stacy

 

6 comments:

LD Masterson said...

Just bundle up for that Dragon's game and drink hot chocolate.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Bundle up, indeed. I hope it's not windy!

Isis Rushdan said...

I've thought about starting this series, but wasn't sure. Guess I'll try it.

Mentioned you today on my blog :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks for the mention, Isis. Totally unexpected. Glad I could help.

Gina Gao said...

These two books sound extremely interesting! Thanks for sharing.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Stacy McKitrick said...

Hi Gina! Those books were interesting and I'm glad I had a chance to read them. Thanks for stopping by.