Monday, March 3, 2014

The Start of Another Book?

My aunt and her husband have this blog, Pro Writers Blog, where they give out some good tips on writing. On Friday they had a fun “What if?” writing exercise about beginnings (and hooking readers) that I decided to give it a go. Who knew I could hook myself? This little beginning I wrote now has Maggie clamoring to be heard. 

The “What if?” scenario was this:  It is a café, it is 11:00 p.m., a young woman sits, empty dishes in front of her. Here’s what I came up with (and it took me about 15 minutes):

Maggie blinked her eyes open and grabbed onto the table in front of her as the room came into focus.

What the hell? She was supposed to be in bed, not having a meal at the café down the street. Yet the dirty dishes in front of her indicated as such and she wasn’t wearing her pajamas. Instead she had on a sweater and jeans. Oh shit. That wasn’t a good sign. She placed a hand over her racing heart.

A waiter approached and laid the check on the table. “Ma’am, we’re closing up. You have to leave.”

She grabbed his arm. “What day is it?”

“It’s 11. We’re closing.”

“Not time. Day. Day!”

His eyes widened and he shrugged free. “Friday. The eleventh.”

“The eleventh?” No, that couldn’t be. She’d just lost two days. Two freakin’ days! Shit. What had she done this time?

So, do you think I have the beginnings of another book? You can be honest! 

Stacy

 

10 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

You got me hooked.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - Yay! Would you believe I tossed and turned most of the night because I had to figure out HOW to use this in my next book? Of course, I also thought about what the next book would be. Ai-yi-yi! This was not in my PLAN. Hahahaha! :)

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Definitely another story, if not a full-length book! Guess you'll have to write it to find out which. :D

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. But it's gonna have to wait for just a little bit longer.

JeffO said...

Sweet! What happens next?

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - :)

B.E. Sanderson said...

Definitely awesome beginning there. Run with it! Ya know, if you have the time... If not, set it aside and run with it later.

Stacy McKitrick said...

B.E. - Looks like I'll be setting it aside. Probably not for long, though (if my brain has any say in the matter). :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Heck yeah it is. Now I want to know more about what's going on.

Well done, you.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Glad to hear it, Ivy. Looks like the start of my next novel! :)