Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Wednesday Reads and Miscellaneous Stuff

Wasn’t sure I’d have anything to report this week, but when you can’t sleep at 3am because you ate too much at dinner and dessert, reading is in store. Here’s what I read the past week:

August 14: “End of Watch” by Stephen King, the third book in the Bill Hodges trilogy, a thriller at 429 pages. Blurb from book: In Room 217 of the Lakes Region Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic, something has awakened. Something evil. Brady Hartsfield, perpetrator of the Mercedes Massacre, where eight people were killed and many more were badly injured, has been in the clinic for five years, in a vegetable state. According to his doctors, anything approaching a complete recovery is unlikely. But behind the drool and stare, Brady is awake, and in possession of deadly new powers that allow him to wreak unimaginable havoc without ever leaving his hospital room. Retired police detective Bill Hodges, the unlikely hero of Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers, now runs an investigation agency with his partner, Holly Gibney—the woman who delivered the blow to Hartsfield’s head that put him on the brain injury ward. When Bill and Holly are called to a suicide scene with ties to the Mercedes Massacre, they find themselves pulled into their most dangerous case yet, one that will put their lives at risk, as well as those of Bill’s heroic young friend Jerome Robinson and his teenage sister, Barbara . Brady Hartsfield is back, and planning revenge, not just on Hodges and his friends, but on an entire city. I told Hubby he could read this trilogy, that there wasn’t any “woo woo” in it. Oops, was I wrong. This book has plenty of “woo woo.” Hopefully it’s not enough to turn him off, though (he does watch “Sleepy Hollow”!). I enjoyed this book (and series) because I really like the characters. Specifically: Bill, Holly, and Jerome. Brady, not so much!

Today Hubby gets the official results of his PET scan, along with the results of the tumor board. Hoping for good news all around. Kind of expect it, but then you never know… I’ll report the results in the comments. Just so you know, Hubby is doing EXCELLENT. Still doesn’t like the feeling of carbonated beverages and spicy food in his throat, and he still can’t open his mouth as wide as he used to, but says he can live with that.

Tonight Hubby and I are going to see the Go-Go’s in concert. Supposedly their farewell tour. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. You just never know nowadays, huh? Anyway, we’re expecting a fun evening. Or at least, I am! Haha!

So… Have you seen the new Jason Bourne movie? Hubby and I saw it last night. Has all your typical Bourne stuff in it, so yeah, I liked it. We could have seen the Star Trek movie, but I let Hubby choose. Oh, and $5 Tuesdays has been increased to $6. Boo.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

9 comments:

JeffO said...

I didn't even know the Go-Go's were still a thing--have fun!

I enjoyed the Mr. Mercedes trilogy; I think book 2 (Finders Keepers) was my favorite of the three.

Best of luck to the hubs, I'll hope to see good news later.

Maria Zannini said...

We haven't seen the latest Bourne movie. I definitely want to wait until it comes out in dvd.

Best of luck to your hubby.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Hope all is well with your husband!

I thought the Go-go's said farewell, like decades ago... anyway, have fun!

Stacy McKitrick said...

First off... Hubby's results were EXCELLENT. No cancer. Whew. He still has to go back to the doctor in 2 months, but another PET scan is not called for. Yay!

Jeff - I don't know if I have a favorite of the 3. However, the first one hooked me, so without that... :)

Maria - Nothing spectacular in the latest movie that isn't seen in the others, that's for sure. Still fun, though.

Jennette - Like I said: Maybe it is the farewell tour, maybe it isn't. You never know nowadays! :)

LD Masterson said...

Stan's the big Bourne fan so I imagine we'll see it at some point.

I love going to farewell tours. I went to a couple of Cher's and I think she's still out there. lol

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - I saw Cher's farewell tour in Columbus last year. She also mentioned she'd had a few farewell tours, but that was her last. Yeah, sure! :)

JeffO said...

GREAT NEWS,STACY!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Jeff. It's the BEST news. :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Great news on the no cancer. That is something to celebrate for sure.