Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Wednesday Reads, Football, and Writing

Lots of writing this week meant little reading. Okay, not so little reading. I do read on the treadmill (now that it’s too dark to walk outside) and I’ve been accompanying Hubby to his classes at night, which gives me an hour or so to read before dinner (because I like having dinner with my Hubby!). Here’s what I read the past week:

October 22: “Race the Darkness” by Abbie Roads, first book in the Fatal Dreams series, a romantic suspense at 332 pages. Blurb from book: Criminal investigator Xander Stone doesn’t have to question you—he can hear your thoughts. Scarred by lightning, burdened with a power that gives him no peace, Xander struggles to maintain his sanity against the voice that haunts him day and night—the voice of a woman begging him to save her. Isleen Walker has long since given up hope of escape from the nightmare of captivity and torture that is draining her life, her mind, and her soul. Except…there is a man in her feverish dreams, the strangely beautiful man who beckons her to freedom and wholeness. And when he comes—if he comes—it will take all their combined fury and faith to overcome a madman bent on fulfilling a deadly prophecy. This romantic suspense had “woo-woo” in it. What a pleasant surprise (I love “woo-woo”!). Was it far-fetched? Maybe a little (only because I wasn’t expecting it), but I didn’t care. The book grabbed me from the beginning and didn’t let go. I look forward to reading more from this author.

The Wayne High School football team plays this Thursday night instead of on Friday (their last regular season game, against Trotwood-Madison). That’s because the game will be on TV. Unfortunately, I could only find it on a local station (not ESPN or something national), otherwise, I’d be telling you all to watch!

I’ve been actually writing first-draft material (that scene I need to add to Ghostly Interlude to foreshadow the next book). 1000 words in two days! Whoo hoo! It felt pretty good, too. First-draft writing is sooooo much different than revision writing, and it had been way too long since I’ve written a first draft. What fun. So glad I still have it in me. Haha! J

So… What part of your job do you consider fun? I never really considered it before (in regards to my writing) because I thought I loved it all. But I really do enjoy first-draft writing the best.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

8 comments:

JeffO said...

I have to tell you, I have all kinds of imagaes running around in my head about 'woo-woo' and what it is, and I think I'm wrong on all of them.

Who knew that the great God of TV even messed around with high school schedules? Best of luck to Wayn tomorrow night.

What part of my job do I love? Which job, hah ha! For my "real" job, I have to write a monthly column for a local newspaper. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with that?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like a dark book.
That's a lot of words in two days. Definitely not my favorite part. I like editing and revising much better.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - So sorry! Woo-woo is what some people call paranormal (ghostly or strange happenings). At least those in the romance community do.

Alex - You think 1100 in two days is a lot? Wow, and here I thought I was still slacking. Good to know. I used to write so much more in a day, but I'll take what I can for now.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I also like writing first drafts! At least, as long as I'm not stuck. I wrote 500 words last night and that felt like a lot, though it really isn't. In my day job, I like beginning a new project, especially if it involves learning some new technology. Least fun is writing documentation.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Yeah, being stuck sucks. But when the words flow, it's the best feeling in the whole world! :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Congrats on the 1000 words. Go you.

Maria Zannini said...

I like editing. It's putting the flesh on the bones that makes it fun for me.

Although nothing beats the excitement of a first draft when it flows smoothly.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Thanks! Doing my best!!

Maria - I do love making my books stronger, but yeah, the excitement is in the first draft when it's cooperating! :)