Monday, June 10, 2019

Bird Feeders and Time

Only 10 ducks here. One waddled off
to the pond by the time I got my camera.
We put up a bird feeder last month. Went through the bag of bird seed in about two weeks. Maybe less.

Bought more bird seed. Big bags of the stuff.

Seems ducks like what’s being dropped to the ground. Found 11 of them munching away the other morning. All males, though. What’s up with that?

But then our neighbor, two doors down, stopped us one morning and politely asked if we can either not fill the bird feeder or relocate it. Seems the little brown birds (sparrows? Not sure) like to perch on their patio furniture and have been leaving a mess.

And here I thought the birds were perching on our roof waiting their turn at the feeder.

I don’t know if this issue is because of our feeder or because of the pond behind us. These are new neighbors (just moved in a few months ago) and I don’t think the former neighbors were living there (there had been a for sale sign up on that house before we moved into ours). Oh, and there are bushes in their back yard (where there aren’t any in ours, just the feeder).

What would you do? Hubby said he would stop filling the feeders and see if that helps.

So now the bird feeder is hanging empty. I think the birds are sad. I’m not too happy, either.

By the way, we’ve officially lived in our new house a year now. Sheesh! Is time flying fast or what?

I know that has to do with age (which I don’t understand at all) and it makes me wonder how quickly time must pass for my vampires. I mean, they’re all centuries old! Would something that happened ten years ago feel like it was a year to them? Hell, it feels like that to me sometimes NOW. I still can’t believe this is the 20th year I’ve had to write 20 instead of 19 for the year. Twenty years! Celebrating 2000 doesn’t seem like THAT long ago!

So… Do you have birdfeeders in your yard? Do your neighbors complain? And how fast is time moving for you? Do you wish it would slow down just a tiny bit?

Happy Monday!

Stacy

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Has it been a year? Wow.
Your feeder is out in the yard. Why would that cause birds to go sit on their patio furniture? I'm sure you're not the only ones with a feeder, either. Move it further away from those neighbors and fill it again. Make the birds happy.

Maria Zannini said...

This is why I hate living close to people. It's like sharing a bed. LOL!

If you planted bushes or trees, it's likely the birds will perch there instead of the neighbor's furniture. They're just looking for easy places to find safety.

We have several bird feeders, but we're also surrounded by trees. All day long we'll see birds swoop in from the trees, get a nibble and fly off.

We used to feed them year round but it took forever to get them to empty the feeders in the summer, so we just stopped. We'll start up again in late fall when vegetation and insects diminish.

If it were me, I'd put the feeder close to shrubbery. It's dangerous for birds to feed when the feeder is out in the open.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - We may just move it to the other side. That neighbor has a fence, but her patio isn't out in the open (and she has dogs), so maybe that will work.

Maria - If we had a fence, I could see putting up bushes. Right now I'm not sure I want bushes in the back yard. Something to think about, though. We do have a feeder in the front yard near the house and some bushes (and we have a tree in the front, too), but unless we're in the front bedroom, we don't see it (and the sunroom, my work area, faces the back yard).

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I can't believe it's been a year since you moved!

I like watching the birds, but don't feed them. I'm afraid they might become too dependent on it. Also where we live, it's mostly sparrows, which are a non-native invasive species that doesn't need my help. OTOH, I might be tempted to put one up when we move, since it's a rural area and not many sparrows. Good luck with yours!

Stacy McKitrick said...

We get a lot of red winged black birds here. They're really pretty. And the ducks. They LOVE what the other birds have dropped to the ground. We might move the feeder toward the other neighbor and see what happens. I miss seeing the birds!

Todd R Moody said...

Hi Stacy! Sounds a little fishy to me that they are blaming you for their issues. Maybe move it a little. The problem we usually have with these are squirrels. We quit filling ours for that reason, but we just bought a hummingbird feeder. We have a couple that some around, we are just hoping it doesn't attract wasps.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Hey, Todd! There aren't any trees around for the squirrels to climb to get to our feeder, so I'm pretty sure it's safe from them. Make sure you clean the hummingbird feeder between fills. I've heard of them getting mold or bacteria and end up killing the birds you want to feed. I hope the wasps stay away!