Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Reading Update and Watching TV

Seems like my blogging is down to reading updates only. So, maybe I’ll spice it up a bit.

The Penguins won last night! Yay! I wish I could see all the games on TV, but then I’d never get any other TV watched. I know, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Right now Hubby and I are watching Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery on DVD (since we’re all caught up on the network shows). And I’m watching Season 4 of The X Files on DVD. My son and I finished Season 5 of American Horror Story: Roanoke Nightmare (I think that was the name) last Wednesday. That was a strange one (not that they aren’t all strange). We’ll probably start on Season 6 tonight. Or watch a movie. I’ll let him choose (he comes over every Wednesday night, ain’t he great?).

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #6

Dates read: January 23-February 12
Title: White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
Year of publication: 2018
Author: Robin DiAngelo
Genre: Non-fiction
Series:  N/A
# of Pages: 154
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Library
Blurb from Book:. Referring to the defensive moves that white people make when challenged racially, white fragility is characterized by emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt and by behaviors including argumentation and silence. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium and prevent any meaningful cross-racial dialogue. In this in-depth exploration, anti-racist educator Robin DiAngelo examines how white fragility develops, how it protects racial inequality, and what can be done to engage more constructively.
My thoughts: This was an eye-opener and I feel it is required reading for every white person. At least those white people who are open to being a better white person. Unfortunately, the white people who NEED to read this won’t. Which, sadly, is a big problem with our country.

Book #7

Dates read: February 8-18
Title: Demons are Forever
Year of publication: 2018
Author: A.E. Jones
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: The Realm #3
# of Pages: 245
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased from author
Blurb from Book:. Sergei Chesnokov is one lost demon. Born an anomaly—a demon without powers—he has alienated himself from his family, traveling the world as a photographer, observing life from behind his camera lens.
    Summoned to the demon realm by his grandmother, Sergei must face a family he hasn’t seen in years. He also meets Lela, whose energy is so strong that others siphon it from her to boost their powers, leaving her sick and vulnerable. Sergei is the only demon she’s met who can’t hurt her. Felling safe for the first time in her life, Lela accepts his friendship.
    However, Sergei quickly realizes friendship is not enough. And he’s finally found a purpose—protecting Lela from those who would harm her. But what happens when he might be part of the problem…since he’s not as powerless as he first thought. Can he walk away from her to keep her safe?
My thoughts: This was an interesting end to the trilogy. The story overlaps a bit in the beginning, but not as much as it did in #2. If you’re looking for a light, easy, paranormal read (with a bit of humor), this series will do the trick.

So … Do you watch series on DVD or on the streaming services? I can’t always find what I want to watch on the streaming services, so I’ll stick with the DVDs for now. Plus, I like having a library!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We used to get DVDs of series, but now I'm all about the streaming.
I did watch some of the Penguins game - they were awesome!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - The Penguins were awesome. And they're now in first place! Whoo hoo!

The Happy Whisk said...

We still have some DVDs that we watch but right now, as of this comment, we're down to one streaming video service. Then there's some things we own on streaming that are downloaded for life.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - I'm not fond of the streaming video services. Probably because of our service (Spectrum).