Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Reading Update and Meeting with Writer Friends

On Monday I was able to attend an in-person plot group meeting with some writer friends. What joy! We met at a Panera Bread that has outdoor seating (gotta be safe!). Only four of us showed, but it was wonderful. I really missed talking books with people and they helped me a lot with my own (which is a mess). Plus, they’re my friends and it had been so long since I’d seen them. It was the boost I needed to get back to work, especially since I now have some ideas of what needs fixing.

Here’s what I read since my last update:


Book #35

Dates read: September 4-10
Title: My Bonny Heart
Year of publication: 2016
Author: Synclair Stafford
Genre: Historical romance
Series: Pirate’s Progeny, Book #1
# of Pages: 277
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: A treacherous past haunts ex-pirate Anne Bonny’s attempt at a fresh start. Rescued from a Port Royal jail, she’s forced to marry a prominent landowner to retain custody of her children. She vows no other man will ever dictate her life again. But the lord she is to wed is more tempting and infuriating than the devil himself.
    Addison Blackhurst agreed to wed a fellow merchant’s daughter, solidifying the expansion of his rice plantation and trading business. Not mentioned in the contract? A temperamental, out-of-control widow who is unlike any woman of his acquaintance, complete with not one, but three children. But from the beginning, he’s drawn to her wild spirit and seductive charms.
    Through Anne’s husband-repelling schemes—and Addison’s equal endeavors to ignore them—they find an exasperating, yet most fascinating attraction. When Anne’s past threatens her future, and Addision believes he’s lost her for good, only a pirate’s resolve can determine if love will prevail. 
My thoughts: This was a fun read. If you like historical romances NOT set in England, this will be a treat for you. I hadn’t realized until after reading it that Anne Bonny was a real person, and that no one knows what happened to her after giving birth in jail. This story COULD be a possibility.

In sports… The Rams and Steelers won their first games of the season. Yay! But the Vegas Golden Knights season has come to an end with their loss Monday night. My hockey watching days are now on hold until the next season starts, whenever that will be. I’m thinking there won’t be much of a break after the finals.

So… what has brought you joy lately?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you got to meet with some of your friends. People are hurting so bad because it's hard to do that now.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - It has been hard. Thankfully, I have family that I can see, so that helps a little.