Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Finished Reading “The Spy Coast”, “Darkness: The Shark” and Other Stuff

So… I’m on a cruise (surprise, huh?) and using a new computer. I bought a smaller one for travel purposes and I’m still getting used to it. Especially since I don’t have Word on it...yet. That will be remedied when I get home. LibreOffice works in a pinch, though. At least I can write!

Big Red (the laptop I usually use) is getting kind of heavy for me, and I don’t like traveling with ALL my files (if you know what I mean). This new one is only about 3 lbs and smaller (making it easier to tote around). I call it my travel laptop. Hey, whatever works, right? And I only have the files I need on this one.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 1

Dates read: December 27, 2023 – January 5, 2024
Title: The Spy Coast
Year of publication: 2023
Author: Tess Gerritsen
Genre: Thriller
Series: N/A
# of Pages: 347
Paper or plastic: Hard cover
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: Former spy Maggie Bird came to the seaside village of Purity, Maine, eager to put the past behind her after a mission went tragically wrong. These days, she’s living quietly on her chicken farm, still wary of blowback from the events that forced her early retirement.
    But when a body turns up in Maggie’s driveway, she knows it’s a message from former foes who haven’t forgotten her. Maggie turns to her local circle of old friends—all retirees from the CIA—to help uncover the truth about who is trying to kill her, and why. This “Martini Club” of former spies may be retired, but they still have a few useful skills that they’re eager to use again, if only to spice up their rather sedate new lives.
    Complicating their efforts is Purity’s acting police chief, Jo Thibodeau. More accustomed to dealing with rowdy tourists than homicide, Jo is puzzled by Maggie’s reluctance to share information—and by her odd circle of friends, who seem to be a step ahead of her at every turn.
    As Jo’s investigation collides with the Martini Club’s maneuvers, Maggie’s hunt for answers will force her to revisit a clandestine career that spanned the globe, from Bangkok to Istanbul, from London to Malta. The ghosts of her past have returned, but with the help of her friends—and the reluctant Jo Thibodeau—Maggie might just be able to save the life she’s built.

Recommend: Yes
My thoughts:
I liked the story, just not the way it was delivered (first person for some points of view, third person for others). Just make it all third and I’m happy.

Book 2

Dates read: January 6-8, 2024
Title: In Darkness: The Shark
Year of publication: 2023
Author: L. Diane Wolfe
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: In Darkness #2
# of Pages: 61
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: Souls shrouded in darkness…
    Focused on her studies and duties at the aquarium, Jewels prefers her solitary life. Burned many times and short on trust, she has more in common with her aquatic friends than the people around her. But she never imagined coming face to face with a shark named Clarence…a shark who talks!
    As their friendship grows, Jewels must overcome her deep set mistrust. There are dangers, both in the Australian ocean and on dry land. Can Jewels depend on the great white or will his animal nature betray her?

Recommend: Yes
My thoughts:
I got this because I saw it was a paranormal romance. But it read more like a children’s book. The romance kind of showed up at the end, but it was all very...young-like. I don’t know how old the protagonist is, but she was in school and an intern at an aquarium. She just seemed way younger than she was portrayed to be, I think. But if you you like short (VERY SHORT) sweet stories, you might enjoy this. It was written well.

We’re sailing on Royal Caribbean this time around. A first for us. Frankly, I miss Carnival. Not any one specific thing, just a lot of little things. Dinner, for one. This is a smaller ship and even though we were told we’d get the early seating (at 5:15), the day before we’re notified that we have Your Time Dining. Sounds fine, until you realized the earliest you can eat is 6:30. And that’s if you call in early enough to get the reservation (their app won’t let me reserve on line). Not a fan.

First full day on the ship was pretty awful, too. Seas were really rough and I got sea sick. That’s never happened to me before, so I wasn’t prepared. Well, I did bring my anti-nausea medicine (that I take for my treatments), but even they didn’t work. Luckily, we hit calmer seas about two hours before our dinner and I was able to eat. Can’t blame that on RC or the ship. It happens. Just wish it hadn’t happened to me!

FYI: Now that I see how this is posting with LibreOffice, I will DEFINITELY be getting Word on this computer. I don't like what it's doing (I'm very OCD when it comes to my posts, what can I say?).

Happy Reading!

Stacy

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey, I know that second author! I'm hosting her for the fourth book in the series next month.
Enjoy your cruise.

Tanja said...

Thanks for the reviews, as always. I’ve been forwarding cruise ideas to my husband; being sea sick is my biggest worry. Glad you recovered swiftly. 3lbs. still sounds heavy to me, of course, I travel so heavy I have to pack extra wheels. And whatever I leave behind, is exactly what I’ll need.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Thanks. I am. Not looking forward to the cold when we get home on Friday, either!!

Tanja - Hubby used to get a patch to wear before he boarded the ship. It would last a couple of days and after it came off he was fine. Something to look into.