Monday, August 16, 2010

Decisions

Two years ago I was working as a cost accountant. While I wasn’t thrilled with my duties (I absolutely hated doing inventory), I enjoyed the people I worked with. When my first boss quit a few years prior and I didn’t get the open position, I almost quit. But the person they hired in her place was competent and I realized she was the better choice. I came to like working for her.

Two years ago my boss was promoted. I waited for the job announcement so I could apply for the position again (since it was inferred before that the job could be mine).  Now, I didn't really want to be a manager, but in order to make more money, it was the next step for me.  I was willing to change (and I psyched myself up for it, too). Instead, it was announced the position would not be filled.

Not long after that, during a department meeting, it was announced that someone from another part of the company was going to fill that position. Someone who had no background in cost accounting. Someone who didn’t even know what cost accounting was. She was my new boss.

That was when I made the decision to leave. It wasn’t an easy decision, but I was tired of being taken advantage. I had been at that job for over 14 years. I felt I deserved better. I felt they should at least have talked to me first.

I’ve been at my new job (in sales, not accounting) for 15 months. It wasn’t my dream job, but it paid more than my previous job (and at the time, we thought my husband was going to be fired, so I was looking for more money) and I was told I wouldn’t have to work in sales. I was support. I was to work on the databases and help with processes. Heck, I don’t really have a “dream job” anymore. Writing would fill that position. Unfortunately, it doesn’t pay right now!

Anyway, the job is becoming less and less what I was told it would be. A lot of changes have come about because the person who hired me is no longer there. I’ve come to another point in my life where I need to make a decision. Luckily for me, my husband was not fired (now his job is more secure than ever – go figure), and he’s supporting my decision. I’m glad. I think I would be really miserable if he hadn’t.

I’ve decided to fight back. I don’t know which way it will go (they’ll either bend to keep me or let me go). But I realize that in order to be happy, I must stick to my guns. I am what I am and they can’t make me be someone else. I’ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Linda Leszczuk said...

Good luck. I hope it works out well for you.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thank you, Linda. I wish I knew which way I WANTED it to go. I'll take whichever way it goes, though.