Friday, December 21, 2012

Merry End of World?


I found this little box sign (and it is little – 2"x3") at a Barnes and Noble and couldn't resist buying it. I want a huge one for my front yard. It would be perfect because there are no decorations out front, and there won't be either.

It's not like I don't like the season. I do. I just don't like to decorate.

So, is the end of the world? Are you planning anything fun or interesting? Well, let me warn you. Do not watch the following movies. My husband and I did last night, and let me just say – what a waste of time!

"Hanna." My son asked for this movie last Christmas. My husband wanted to watch it, so we borrowed it. Starring Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, and Cate Blanchett, it's one bizarre movie. Blurb: Raised by her father (Bana), an ex-CIA agent, in the wilds of Finland, Hanna's (Ronan) upbringing and training have been one and the same, all geared to making her the perfect assassin. The turning point in her adolescence is a sharp one. Sent into the world by her father on a mission, Hanna journeys stealthily across Europe, eluding agents dispatched after her by a ruthless intelligence operative (Blanchett) with secrets of her own. As she nears her ultimate target, Hanna faces startling revelations about her existence. Now, based on this blurb, it sounds kind of interesting. It is not.

So, after we cheered the ending of this movie (the fact it was over, that is), I decided I wanted something more fun to watch. Well, I thought it would be fun.

"Love Happens." The cover on my copy stated it was a "Rare Hollywood Romance." That should have been my first hint to stay away. I bought this in the $5 bin at Wal*Mart. That should have been my second. Blurb: Jennifer Anniston and Aaron Eckhart star in the romantic drama "Love Happens." When self-help author Dr. Burke Ryan (Eckhart) arrives to Seattle to teach a sold-out seminar, he unexpectedly meets florist Eloise Chandler (Anniston), the one person who might be able to help him help himself. But will two people who may have met the right person at exactly the wrong time be able to give love a chance? If they can, they'll find that sometimes, when you least expect it, love happens. This should have been titled "Death Happens." It was one depressing movie. At the end, when the husband and I were in tears, I started laughing. "We really know how to pick 'em," I said. He cracked up with me (with tears in his eyes, no less). He said he wanted to watch a western next. At least then he knew what to expect!

I sure hope this isn't the end of the world. I'd like to go out smiling. These movies didn't do that! Well, except for the cracking up at the end part. Ooh boy!

 

 

10 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

When in doubt, always trust the classics.

I wanted to see Hanna when it came out, but I'd heard so many bad reviews I skipped it.

As for Jennifer Aniston, her best days were on Friends.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I had no problem with the actors in "Love Happens". I like them both. It was the story that got me down. I think it would have worked better in a book. MAYBE. Still depressing, though. When I see something labeled "Romance" I guess I just expect something a little more fun.

But you're right about the classics. I'm sticking with my favorite holiday movies this weekend. Looks like it's time to break out "Die Hard"!! :)

B.E. Sanderson said...

Bleh. Sorry you sat thru a couple of junkers. I felt the same way about Pay It Forward. I watched it hoping it would be a feel-good, happy movie, but the end killed it. What a waste.

And you can't go wrong with Die Hard (or any of the sequels). =o)

Stacy McKitrick said...

B.E. - You got that right. We have all but the last one of the Die Hard movies. There's always "Lethal Weapon" too!!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ooh, I'll stay away. Thanks for the warning!

One time on my birthday, the hubby and I rented and watched FARGO and LEAVING LAS VEGAS.

Sheesh! Talk about knowing how to pick 'em. I wanted to slit my wrist by the end of the day. LOL

Anyhew...
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I want that sign!! For the same reason.:) One good thing about Netflix is if a movie's boring, I don't feel like I'm wasting my money if I stop watching it and find something better.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennifer - I liked "Fargo", but then I knew what I was getting into with that movie.

Jennette - Yeah, isn't that sign great? Maybe I'll be productive this summer and figure out how to make a huge wooden one for my yard. One that won't blow away, that is! Gee - windy enough out there? Brrr.

The Happy Whisk said...

I haven't seen Love Happens but I'll keep an eye out for it on NetFlix.

About time for me to bundle up and drive into town. But boy oh boy, is it cold and I do I want to stay home.

Hope it snows a ton tomorrow on my day off and I get to flop on the couch and read.

Ah ... the good life.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - It LOOKS cold outside. It SOUNDS cold outside. I should stay inside! You should, too. Enjoy your day off.

The Happy Whisk said...

I am fixing on staying inside all ding dong day tomorrow.

PS: Work was pretty good tonight.