Monday, April 8, 2013

Is Spring Finally Here?

Temperatures are supposed to be in the seventies this week. The lows in the fifties. I might actually get to go out walking! I might actually get to go outside without a winter coat on!!

Warm weather!!!!! I thought it would never get here.

The daffodils are even trying to bloom. We’ll see if they succeed. And if they do and I can get a picture of them without showing the weeds (I’m not the gardener, my husband likes to play in the dirt and he hasn’t played there in a while), then I’ll post them later on. However, the tulips haven’t shown any blooms yet. Maybe they’ll surprise me.


****


Does anyone remember me mentioning a short story I wrote back when I was 15? If not, you can read about it HERE. Would you believe I finally found that short story? (Titled “It’s One of Those Weeks”) I couldn’t believe I found it exactly where I thought it was (that rarely happens). But what’s even more amazing is that I have the typed, mimeographed AND the hand-written versions. While I thought I had written it in the ninth grade, the date (Fall of 1972) indicates I wrote it in the tenth grade (see, my memory is shot).

I transcribed it to Word and discovered it’s over 6000 words (Who knew I wrote so much back then? Certainly not me!!). Anyway, because of its size, I’m thinking it wouldn’t work that well as ONE blog post. Talk about lengthy. However, each section/chapter is named as the day. Is ANYONE interested in reading a story written back in 1972 by a goofy 15-year-old? I could possibly post each day on that day (Sunday on Sunday, Monday on Monday, etc.). Might even do it during a week I was unable to blog (like on vacation - or just give myself a vacation).

Yes, it’s goofy. Yes, it’s horrible. But even when I re-read it, I still laughed at parts. I had a very strange mind (and apparently loved similes).

So, what do you think? Would you post such a thing (with errors and all)? Or would you let it stay hidden? It’s not like I plan on publishing the thing, that’s for sure! More likely I’ll just embarrass myself. Ah, but that’s nothing new.

 

10 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

I think I would find the silliest worst part of the story and post that. And then post what you would write now -- clean it up. That would show how far you've come in your writing. Especially as you're writing then as an authentic 15 yr old, and now as an adult writing as a 15 yr. old.

sounds like a fun experiment.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Anne - That's a thought. I'll have to think about it. Of course, it's all silly and bad, it would be hard to choose... :)

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I'd hate to read anything I wrote in high school - hope yours is better LOL! Enjoy your walks!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Really? I had a blast reading it (and the other pieces I found).

And I DID enjoy my walk this morning. Of course, now my feet hurt. But oh well... I got to WALK!!

Jen B said...

I love reading my old stuff - I love thinking about myself in my teens and how I saw the world. It can be fun and silly a neat reminder of what once was.

Posting the story over a week could be neat. Maybe a brief intro or a summary of your thoughts at the end of each section would be nice too.

I'm so happy it is Spring!! I have been on three walks so far that were only 'kinda cold' instead of 'really cold'. I hope it lasts! :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jen B - Yeah, I was surprised at how I saw things - and what I thought was expensive at the time (and it probably was!).

LD Masterson said...

Hey, toss it out there. What's the worst that can happen? *grin*

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - You know, I just might. Even hecklers are welcome here. Besides, they can be fun!

Missed Periods said...

I would love to read an authentic fifteen-year-old voice.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Jenny. Although, it's funny that this 15-year-old GIRL wrote a story about a 16-year-old BOY! Like I knew anything about them!!!