Friday, March 28, 2014

Choosing Items for a Gift Basket

I’m putting together a gift basket for Club RT (that would be at the Romantic Times Booklovers Convention). Why? Well, it puts my name on RT’s website (click HERE and scroll toward the end of page 2) and maybe gets me some recognition.

So what am I giving away? I’ll have a copy of my book and the two anthologies, but just having books is kind of boring. Don’t you think? While in California, I bought some yarn (Homespun--super soft!!) and made this quick scarf:




Isn’t it pretty? I also made a bookmark, but it didn’t turn out quite like I thought:

 

Of course, I tend to be picky, so I should just put it in there anyway.

I also have a Pittsburgh Steelers mug I might put in there, because, well, there’s this scene in My Sunny Vampire… If you’ve read the book, you know what I mean. And if you haven’t, maybe I’ve piqued your interest now? Hmmm?

The last thing I might add would be a chocolate bar or maybe some coffee (items Sunny misses--also in the book). The only thing I can’t think of is what kind of basket to put it all into. Or should I even USE a basket? Maybe a bag instead? I mean, most people are traveling, probably by air, so I should try to make it as easy as possible to transport back home. Got any suggestions?

The thing that gets me is how BIG (translation: EXPENSIVE) some of the gift baskets are ($50 gift cards, Kindles, iPads, that sort of stuff). It doesn’t cost anything to enter to win these things, so the prizes really baffle me. Well, not if it comes from a publisher. I can almost understand that. But from an author? I can’t justify giving a lot away, you know? And I’m thinking of donating a basket to Lori Foster’s event, too (of which tickets for those gift baskets are sold, though, and proceeds go to charity), so I really don’t want to go overboard.

So…what kind of things do you look for in a gift basket? Oh, and did you see the University of Dayton win last night??? Go UD Flyers!!! Elite Eight!!!

Have a good weekend. I think it’s supposed to get warm!! Whoo hoo!!

Stacy

 

12 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I like useful things. One of the best pieces of swag I ever got was a plastic lid (for cans). I use it regularly.

The top of the lid has the printed information of the author--where it's always visible.

The only flaw is that her name and web site are a bit nondescript. If it were me I would've included a logo or some kind of graphic tying it to her series or author brand.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - That lid idea sounds interesting for a swag item. I might have to check that out. Of course, I don't use lids anymore, but used to when I had a cat. :)

Jennette Marie Powell said...

That UD game was awesome!!!

Definitely put the Steelers mug into the basket. That was a great scene. :D I like getting baskets with stuff besides books. Themed foods, wine, etc. An alcoholic goodie might not be bad, since the main characters do meet at a bar in Sunny.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - If I put booze in there, it will most likely NOT make it home with the winner, huh?

Man, I hope UD goes all the way. Wouldn't that be something??

Sandra Cox said...

Oooh, pretty scarf!
How about putting them in a book bag?It wouldn't have to be an expensive one.
I'm thinking the authors that have worked their way up the food chain probably give the larger gifts.

JeffO said...

Nicely knitted. I suppose some people load their gift baskets with big ticket items because they can, you know?

Dayton. Bah. Dayton busted my bracket. After a good Thursday (3 of 4 winners), last night was a catastrophe. I'm down to one team in my office pool. Ah, well, good luck to Dayton (but they can't win, for the sake of my bracket!).

B.E. Sanderson said...

I think the scarf and the bookmark are both lovely. And even though I haven't read the book, I like the idea of the Steelers mug. =o)

I usually don't watch basketball, but since Michigan was in the mix, I watched that game. I didn't make the MSU game because it was on so late. Here's hoping both of those win their Elite 8 games so they can face off in the Final 4. That would be fun.

And Go Dayton! Whomp those Gators.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Sandra - I thought about a book bag. I might go that route. And that scarf looks way prettier up close and personal! :) Thanks!

Jeff - Guess you'll know what I'll be doing at 6pm tonight, huh? I really want them to beat the Gators, and not just to win, but to BEAT THE GATORS! I don't like them too much.

B.E. - If you watch MSU and happen to spot a player by the name of Travis Trice, well... he went to our high school (well, my kids' high school--but it feels like mine since I've been to more games there than I have my own!).

The Happy Whisk said...

I missed this post yesterday.

Love the scarf. But I don't think just books are boring, I do though dig your idea of adding a few things.

Happy Weekend.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - The more goodies, the better...right?

Unknown said...

I found your website the other day and after reading a handful of posts, thought I would say thank you for all the great content. Keep it coming! I will try to stop by here more often. To get new information visit here


You can get the next event’s idea with a great arrangement from a site.It can be followed with a full satisfication. women gift baskets

The Happy Whisk said...

Makes it fun, yeppers.