Monday, March 17, 2014

Pictures of Santa Barbara--Part III (And a Facebook Event)



On Tuesday, several of us Lyrical authors are hosting an event on Facebook celebrating the relaunching of our books. Well, it's actually a LAUNCH for me, but hey, I'll take what I can. Anyway, if you join the event (link HERE), you could win some stuff. Big prize: $50 Amazon Gift Card. We're only holding it from 7-10pm EDT, so it's not like a whole-day event. Hope to see you there!





Well, since no one said I posted too MANY pictures, here are some more of my trip to Santa Barbara. Oh, and by the way, when we left SB, it was in the mid to high seventies. When we arrived in Dayton, it was 21 and windy. Dang!! At least there wasn't any snow!



 This is Goleta Beach.

During low tide.

View of beach from pier.

Pigeons? Where's the sea gulls? :)

This is Cachuma Lake. It's man-made and 52 feet below normal levels. See all those steps? They should be under water!

Here's one of the few floating porta potties. Kind of neat. And of course our little cruise had to stop at one because one of the little girls couldn't hold it in any longer!

The lake was originally the Santa Ynez River. This road (the old Route 154) used to follow it. Yep, it should be under water!

This is where the water is pumped from the lake and sent to Santa Barbara. It is anticipated the lake will run dry if it doesn't rain in the next two years. Luckily, El Nino is expected to hit in the fall, which calls for...rain. Our guide said one good  rain storm will raise the lake by 32 feet.

I caught a white pelican taking off!

After our Nature Cruise on the lake, we went to Solvang and had dinner. Solvang is a danish town. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the bakery in time. I wanted some dessert, but it closed just as we got there. Figures!

Here's a view from the back of my parents' house. Used to be able to see the ocean from this point, but the houses and trees across the street get in the way of the view.

Here's the front of their house. This is where I lived from 1968-1976 (and then in 1987, when my husband was stationed in Korea). It's such a nice and quiet neighborhood. Pretty, too.

I hope you enjoyed my photos. Makes me warm just seeing them again!

So, you got any plans this Saint Patrick's Day? I'm wearing green and that's about it! Have a good one!

Stacy

10 comments:

JeffO said...

I haven't quite figured out how you hold an event on Facebook yet--good luck with it, and great pics!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - My daughter thinks events on FB should be used for outside events - sort of like an invitation, I guess. We're using it as on-line party, and my writer-friend set it up, so I still don't know exactly how it's done, either! Haha!

Maria Zannini said...

The water looks so relaxing.

The floating potty is a new one for me. I had no idea they existed. Cool.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - Goleta Beach was relaxing. Nice and quiet. I love hearing the waves, too. I told my husband I wouldn't have any trouble walking every day if I had the beach this close to home!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Awesome photos! Can't wait 'till I can experience some nice, warm weather. Have fun with the FB party!

The Happy Whisk said...

Love, love, love seeing pictures.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I have a feeling we're going to go from our frigid winter into a humid summer. Spring? It's taking a vacation!! :) But right now, I'd take the humidity over this cold.

Ivy - Glad, glad, glad!!! :)

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

enjoyed the photos :)

Michael Seese said...

My plan was to avoid the drunks. I succeeded.

Stacy McKitrick said...

R. Mac - Glad you did.

Michael - Good plan! Better that you succeeded!